What qualifications do an employer look for?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arthud01, Jul 25, 2009.

1. arthud01

arthud01 New Member

Hi,

I have been thinking about doing an IT course for some time now, the only prob i have is im still unsure what qualifiactions an employer will look for. I want to do something like PC technician/engineer, messing about with hardware, troubleshooting etc etc. I have been advised to do the comptia a+ followed by the network+ and then eventually MCSE...does this sound right?

I have been having a quick browse around job sites but dont see any of these qualifications listed for the jobs?

Also what sort of jobs would i be looking for if i did these courses...ie salary wise?

I have worked in retail management for the last 8 years so i have a pretty decent salary at the moment and with a small family to feed and shelter cant really afford to take a drop in pay.

As always any help greatly appreciated.....:biggrin

2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

One called experience in life 101. :)

Apart from that, which is arguably your most valuable asset when applying for a job, it would depend on which role you were applying for. MS Certs are a really good way to go, as most companies use MS. CCNA etc are of a slightly more niche market for jobs.

Usually it's recommended get an A+ N+ MCDST etc, but to be honest, everyone here knows a network manager or two with only an exam pass in XP.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, but you should try and aim towards the MCSE once working in IT IMO.

Between £12k and £18k.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It depends on the job, however for entry level/tier 1 you're looking at the A+, Network+ and MCDST

The A+ & Network+ yes, however not the MCSE until you have at least 1-2 years working with and designing large networks.

Hate to say it mate, but going from retail management to your first IT job, you will experience a pay drop.

Don't be fooled into the hyper of alot of advertising that says do this course (which last anywhere from 1 week to 6 months) and be on £32k after you finish it.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's true, one of my mates (whose an IT network Manager for years) has only started to gain certifications recently.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I've found this is more and more common. Talking to one of our long serving Server Team members the other day I was surprised to find he only had 1 MCTS. I think the days of JUST experience being enough are gone now tho, even your architect level IT Pro's need the paper too to validate their skillset (IMO and IME (might of made that up, In My Experience!))

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs