What PC spec is best for online games

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Dean Alce, May 1, 2011.

1. Dean Alce

Dean Alce New Member

Hi all,

what PC spec would you recommend to play upto date online games - was thinking of setting up an internet cafe and not sure of the right PC spec for running games to a good standard .....

Any recommendations or thoughts are welcome

2. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi Dean,

Ultimately, the answer depends on many factors, including:

1. Your budget per PC
    2. What type of games you/ your customers are looking at playing
    - As some will be more graphically intensive than others
    3. The amount of future proofing you want to do
    4. Wether you are going to buy off the shelf or build your own

As an example spec of something you could* do:
    Processor: Intel i5 2500(K)
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro R3 P67 Socket 1155
    RAM: 6GB Corsair DD3 XMS 1333
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5

Two websites which may help you further other than certforums are:

Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews - Benchmark reviews of hardware
    Build Your Own PC (Personal Computer) | Build Your Own PC - If you are going to build the PC's yourself and if have people who may be able to help you some more with specs.

* the above is only an example and may or may not suit your needs

Cheers,
    Crazy Horse

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As Crazy Horse says it really depends on the type of game you're playing.

Personally speaking I always go for the best spec pc I can afford, that doesn't mean it will be the best but for me it will do what I need it to do (in my case I use a Sandy Bridge Motherboard and CPU (2600K)), that will perhaps last me a year to 18 months (my last cpu\board lasted me 18 months before I upgraded for no other reason than the fact that the 2600K was out there and faster than my i7 950).

Let us know the type of game you're wanting to play and we can take it from there.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA