What pc shall i buy to help me with my A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by tysfoot, Nov 19, 2008.

1. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Hi

I was going to buy a pc to mess about with while im studying my a+

I was thinking about this one, its not to expensive: the item number on ebay.co.uk is:160297804709

Shall i go for an xp computer or is win 98 fine, my budget is no more than £25 ish

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you should go for a pc with xp on it.

The A+ is vendour neutral my exam covered xp but yours could contain windows 2000 but I doubt very much it would cover 98.

Have a look at your local recycling centre. They always have PCs knocking about.

you could also set up virtual pc on your home pc and run xp on it, but if you want to use a pc for ripping to pieces and putting back together then get a cheap as chips pc along with pc technician streetsmarts by James Pyles (tripwire45) as the exercises in it will fully teach you what to do interms of installing hardware etc.

For £25 you may struggle

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

the A+ objective no longer look at 98 really so you want XP, I'd suggest trawling sites like freecycle before you go out and spend any money.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I'd suggest getting an XP computer to help you study for A+. If you can, I'd try to find the parts to create your own computer. Building a computer from scratch will be greatly beneficial in your preparation for the A+ exams.

5. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

I think am gonna go with this pc: 120336154345, he lives close by and the price is good

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

should be ok, it might take 20 minutes to boot because the small amount of ram but it'll do the trick if your looking to take to pieces and rebulid.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?