What path do I take?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Apoc220, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Hey all,
    I've recently been thinking about my future in I.T. and have some questions regarding what (in your opinion) would be a good road to take. For a little background, I'm an active duty Marine with over four years I.T. experience supporting end-users and doing server administration. I'm leaving the service in June and want to pursue a job in systems administration. Right now I don't have a degree nor certifications. The only things I have going for me are my four years of experience, military background, and my active secret clearance. I have been told that these three things would take me far in my search, but I have been interested in acquiring a cert before I leave the service. I've been studying for my network+ but have been told that it won't really be a deciding factor since it's an entry level cert and for sysadmins it's not really a necessity but more so for network admins. I guess my ultimate question would be if a network+ or a+ would benefit me in getting a sysadmin job other than for personal knowledge? Thanks in advance!

Cesar

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You state that your location is New Jesery, so you're in the US force's? If you were in the UK force, depending on your rank you could apply for an award anywhere from Foundation degree to Master's degree level from C&G's.

Apart from that, any cert will be a added value to yourself and while it will not gurantee you a job it will bolster your CV. If time is a pressure, then I would recommend doing the 70-271 exam, while it is one of Microsoft's easier exams (not to be mistaken for an easy exam) it still does give you the MCP credential. And in these economical resession, every little helps...

However if you have the time, I would say go for the MCSA with either the MCDST or the A+/Network+ as the elective, as you already have 4 years experience.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would say go for MCDST - you will breeze it and will get you hungry for the others you may be looking in to.

Best of luck with your new chosen career!

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT