What part of your role is strenuous?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by onoski, Jan 30, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

As thers only 2 of us supporting everything for 300 users I have to say office moves. They are time consuming and iritating and from our pov mostly have no benefit to the users at all apart from a diff view out of the window. When you move people of course an office becomes vacant so someone has to move in there rinse and repeat.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

:sleeping In the previous job it was being available all the time… I mean I was taking calls every night between 3am-5am before starting the 10-hour day. The regular mental & physical IT stress was there, but the working hours were brutal. The experience though was fantastic!

In the latest place I can’t complain at all. Very little stress other than deadlines and I’m doing what I set as a goal when I got into IT. It really is pretty good or maybe I'm just really happy doing what I do.
    :super

3. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Carrying stuff in and out in and out while stupid people make their mind up!

I support 2 sites, each has 8 hours of my time a week. Often I work 10 hours solid with no breaks!

So often I am grabbed by one person, then the next etc etc So Its going from job to the next trying to juggle 10 things at once, whilst chasing up suppliers at the same time - as I am also responsible for buying equipment.

Women are meant to multitask better no?

I also cannot stand the boredom of some jobs. Like reinstalling the same programme over and over again or the same problems....As said a few posts above some aspects can become very dull.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Or the worst is, you've moved the furniture around and then you get one person that is unhappy throws a hissy fit and you have to move the furniture again :biggrin

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Lol I have been there! I just want to stick my finger up but as they say 'customer' comes first or should I say user.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Stupid users is the biggest problem we face.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Firstly, I love my job, I am learning new things all the time and thank god that it's not very repetitive. There are instances where I would have to install common applications more then once, or repair few things more then once but it's okay I don't mind. I now have around 1 year and 6 months of experience which is great. Aside from all of that I do quite a bit of strenuous work, however not very often.

What I would usually do is bring 20 computers up to the second floor. Usually my boss orders 20 computers at a time. Bring same amount of lcd monitors upstairs. When I ship out stuff like computers I have to package the boxes then bring them downstairs. Although I am not responsible for any furniture moves I do sometimes help the guy who does move the furniture. Also I do some cleaning in my department and inventory that involves bringing things up the stairs and down the stairs when needed and keeping track.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The_Geek, this is not entirely true as most of us wouldn't be in an IT support role if not for the users. However, in terms of the subject matter don't regard this as mentally strenuous or physically tasking:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Me too... but I don't mind at all.

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297