What now?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Leehaa, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hello,

I've been in my current role for two years now. I really liked it for the first year, but over the last year was put mainly on project work.

Unfortunately there've been issues implementing one of the systems involved in the project work. I even got someone else to rebuild it, but the issues came back (so issue with the environment rather than engineer :)).

Current projects are nearly all finished, and I want a change rather than continuing down that route.

I want to go back to doing maintenance stuff (the others in the team do more general server maintenance/admin, which I LOVE doing. I am an admin also, but with the projects, haven't had time to much )

An opportunity has popped up for a more senior position doing the maintenance-type stuff, and i've discussed it with my manager who advised that I am mostly ready but there are a couple of weak points that I would need to argue my case for.

One of these is to do with time management - this is where I'm stuck. Because i've spent so much time on these projects...which have run way over due to the issues, my time management looks awful.

Any advice on how to go about presenting a "professional" case that would help better iron out this weak area?

...also, wondering if it's time to start looking at what's available externally...

Cheers,
    Lee

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hi Leehaa,

I kind of went through the same scenario as you're going through now, only I was desktop support tech going to a network admin position. When I noticed the position was available I went a head and asked my boss what is it I need to do to get the job. After a long conversation it came down to me having to prove myself.

It looks like you do have the technical skills necessary to do the job. If time management is a show stopper for them then I would ask them for at least a task or two to prove to them that you do in fact have good time management. After all the employer would rather hire internally than externally. You also worked at your company for a little while now and they have gotten to know you well and trust you.

I would look externally only if there's no room for you to grow and you're at your peak. Also I would think that they would respect you even more if you showed a willingness to progress in your company rather than just resigning.

Just my thoughts. I've been there too :D Good Luck Leehaa

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hello,

well thank you very much for your thoughts - they make a lot of sense and have certainly aided my decision making.

You got me thinking about the external thing, and I realised actually how perfect my own place would be should I get this other job...team is great and there are some lovely colleagues in the place...plus i'm settled in (which must be a first!!) I am so near to nailing it and, if I didn't get it right now, it may not be too long before I get it.

My manager did advise that i'm so close to hitting all the things they need, but having looked at time spent over the last few months, so much of it is corrupted by the project. I'm not sure how to argue my case for the time being.

Am going to arrange another meeting with manager outlining my concerns and ask that if i'm unsuccessful in getting enough evidence now, that we can work out a plan to allow me to demonstrate the skills. I have a review in just over a month where it is possible to bring it up again, so If I could have some mini projects in-between to allow for demonstration then that could be the solution...It's just frustrating as I want it so badly and know I'm so ready for it now!

Thank you!

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Trust me I know the feeling! The annual review is the perfect time to address anything to do with your job, actually it is expected. I know that sometimes we go through periods where it's difficult to cope with things, but non the less anywhere else you go it could either be better, worse or the same, there is no way of knowing which is why you really have to be fed up where you're at so that when you leave you have no regrets.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you. Spoke to manager again today and provided a fair amount of evidence to boost confidence around the skills mentioned above.
    However, he then said that the major issue is actually my lack of confidence - I often get things right, but end up asking for reassurance - too many times...and also beat myself up if I can't get something right first time :oops: Apparently this has been spotted by his manager and manager's manager. To them it comes across that I sometimes struggle to cope (when actually i've successfully set up some major systems and learned a huge amount on my own...alongside doing two modules of a degree in my spare time with assignment scores in the high 90s 8)).

I'm a bit disappointed as thought that I was closer than I am and feel quite embarassed for "appealing" only to hear that...also, to rub salt into the wound, another colleague has been told to go for it. He is totally deserving of it though so I will try and support him if he needs it.

...anyway I guess the good news is that as a result of our discussions, they will be putting me as lead on a big project that will hopefully give me the chance to redeem myself and prove that I can manage it. We can then have a review at this time next year, or, perhaps even earlier!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am glad you've spoken with your manager. At least now you know what to do to get to where you want to be. That's a big part of getting there! :biggrin. We can't help ourselves in how we feel under certain circumstances, I know that sometimes when S*** hits the fan, I get nervous and make stupid mistakes but that's just human, if you're over all good at your job, you honestly have nothing to worry about.

Good Luck Leehaa!