What not to wear

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by flex22, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Good luck - we will all be their in spirit

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Don't drive yourself nuts, Monk. If in doubt, dress up. Only a sexist pig would make you put a dress on for an interview. There are plenty of dress pants suits that are fine for interviews. If in doubt on this, go shopping. Retail sales folks are really happy to help you make clothing selections, especially since they can use the commission if you make a buy.

I personally hate shopping for clothes. I take my wife with me which has the benefit of adding some style to my selections at the cost of taking just about forever. :oops: If I know what I want, I just beam on in to my particular selection, buy it and am gone before anyone can say: "Who was that masked man?".

While appearence is important in the interview and in the professional work world, it's only one aspect or a larger dynamic. It's what you know, how you present yourself and how you communicate that you're the right person for the job that really counts.

Periodically, I've blown interviews on one point or another. I kick myself in the seat, dine on ashes for awhile, then move on. If you spend all your time second guessing how to prepare and what to wear, you'll never actually get to an interview. Just be yourself and do your best.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Surely not.Shocking. :ninja

4. Computermonkey

Computermonkey Bit Poster

You all will think I'm weird, but I actually hate shopping for clothes too... I hate shopping period! The dresspants with a blazer type jacket that match the pants will do just fine...

I think I will be okay with the interviews though. I am having a retired English teacher help me prepare for it, after all, she made my killer resume for me...

Hey Trip, I read one of your posts saying you also have a resume on Monster and careerbuilder, I got mine on Monster and got a phone call the other day for a job offer, but I had to refuse it because it was too far up north from where I live.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've never gotten a hit from Monster and consider it a waste of my time. Glad you got a hit from your posting, though. Careerbuilder has gotten me most of my referrals thus far. Outfits from as far away as Virginia and Florida have called me up needing a tech in Boise, ASAP. Occasionally Dice comes through for me but not often. Also get in contact with your local Manpower Professional and Volt offices. They can be a big help getting you some contract work. Having your A+ is good since most of the jobs are installs and upgrades.

Certifications: A+ and Network+