1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What not to do if you're a technician...in Outer Space

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Nov 19, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What not to do if you're a technician...in Outer Space

A spacewalking astronaut accidentally let go of her tool bag Tuesday after a grease gun inside it exploded, and helplessly watched as the tote and everything inside floated away. It was one of the largest items ever to be lost by a spacewalker, and occurred during an unprecedented attempt to clean and lube a gummed-up joint on a solar panel. Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper was just starting to work on the joint when the mishap occurred. She said her grease gun exploded, getting the dark gray stuff all over a camera and her gloves. While wiping off herself, the white, backpack-size bag slipped out of her grip, and she lost all her other tools. "Oh, great," she mumbled.

Full news story is at FOXNews.com.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      lol, if a broken down alien needs to do some repairs and wishes he has his tools with him when some drop out the sky he'll be thanking his lucky stars :D:blink
    2. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      However, she still managed to hang on to her purse. :thumbleft

(yes, I think I'll be going now... I've finally grown back hair in the areas where I was last duct taped...)
    3. The_Geek
      The_Geek
      I think I'd be looking at the engineer who created the exploding grease gun. :twisted:
    4. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Welcome back, TG! :D

I just read a follow up story this morning. The Astronaut in question said there was a plan in place for today's space walk so that "we" (meaning her, I guess) won't lose another toolkit. The story said that not only was it about the largest object ever "dropped" by an Astronaut during a space walk, but that it costs $100,000 US. Ouch. If I made a mistake that cost the company that much money, what do you think my chances would be at keeping *my* job?
    5. The_Geek
      The_Geek
      You would be 100% safe if the taxpayers were paying your salary. :twisted:

Thanks Trip, nice to be back.