What next Security+ or MCSA.

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Chopperchand, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

HI, I am currently studying towards my network+ , in the end I want to get an MCSA. I understand I can use Security+ as an elective. So my question is after doing N+, should I start my MCSA with 70-270 or should I do Security+ first then start the MCSA path.

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The choice is entirely up to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Michael. In this case, there's no one right path to the goal. Choose which ever one suits your fancy.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Chopperchand

Thanks for the replies. I have just seem the price for booking the Sec+ £185 ex taxes(wow), I might do the 70-299 to complete my MCSA. What do u think? or am I more likely to learn more about security from the comptia exam. I currently don't work in security but it is something that I am interested in.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

CompTIA recommends that you have:

...before attempting Security+. That said, I believe Security+ is probably easier than the scenarios offered by 70-299 - you should have real-life experience securing Windows OSes before attempting that one.

In summary - if you have no security experience, I'd not really recommend either of them. If you do have security experience, I'd recommend either of them, and in whatever order you choose to do them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Chopperchand

Thanks Michael,

I just thought I would get some path advise. Future planning:) I going to do N+ then 70-270 then go through the 290 & 291 this will give me some time to think about the elective option. I think with these 4 I have alot on my plate to start with.:biggrin

7. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

Or of course you could do the comptia A+. This would count with ur N+ as the elective for MCSA.

I'd add that if you do pass the A+ it will give you a good grounding especially in hardware support that will then help you through the 270.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination