What New Marketable Skill Can I Learn

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Oracle_Developer, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Oracle_Developer

Oracle_Developer New Member

Here is my Background :- Qualified Chartered Accountant (ACCA) >>> Retrained as an Oracle PL/SQL programmer in 1999 >>> Worked in IT as Oracle Developer cum Siebel CRM Certified Consultant until >>>> Offshoring to Asia and Redundancy struck in 2003 >>> Couldn't get a job in IT quick enough so >>>> Went back to Systems Accounting in the NHS but found the NHS a pathetic place to work so >>>> decided to start my own Restaurant biz in 2006 >>>> but business didn't work out and >>>> fot the past 11 months I have tried every method I know to get either an Accounting or Oracle or Siebel CRM job to no avail.

Now my dilemma is this :-

I want to have a final throw of the dice and invest some "borrowed money" on retraining myself in an "In Demand" IT course but I do not want to spend any money on an IT course if there is no guarantee that it will better my job prospects in the immediate short term.

Based on my past Oracle foundation, I felt that maybe doing 3 courses in quick succession :- Oracle Warehourse Builder 10g >>> Oracle Warehourse Builder 10g Implementation 1 >>>>> Oracle Warehourse Builder 10g Implementation 2 might be a way to go but as the 3 courses cost roughly a total of £4000 (Inc VAT) I am scared of wasting "borrowed money" if there is no guarantee that it will better my job prospects in the immediate short term.

Does anyone know of any intensive IT course (preferably lasting not more than 3 months) that once done is in such high demands that mastering such skills will be a door opener in this current IT job climate ?

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No, not really. Best to hang onto your money and keep plugging away :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

Nothing is guaranteed. You can become the most qualified individual in the world but if you fail the interview and no one wants to hire all that is moot. Chasing after a sure thing is probably a waste of money and effort. Just figure out what you want to do. If it's IT and you want to continue working in Oracle then pursue that. Don't pursue it because you think it's a sure fire bet to get you a job.

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  4. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

Developer is always top, mind you SQL is always high too.

Other than that you could become an MP and just take other people's money for going on holiday for 3 months. All you need to do is promise everything to everybody...when people discover you can't deliver, you'll be removed and rewarded with a seat in the House of Lords, which is like a tea part for the rich.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  5. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

The economic situation as the moment is not helping at all, even the most qualified people are having tough time going back to work, but at least you can see people are still hanging to their sense of humour, mind you he is talking sense.:D:D

im still laughing

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Try to be an expert in one field.
    With your background in Oracle (which I believe is pretty tough) and SQL, I'd keep plugging away at DB stuff.
    People always need good DBAs/developers.

If you're looking for things to do, get stuck into SQL2005 or something like that.
    Do a short course to keep your CV up to date.

Not being funny, but if I knew of a skill that would make me indispensible I'd be buying books on it now and I certainly wouldn't tell any of you buggers what it was...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD