What .Net Framework to learn?

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by piccadilly, Apr 15, 2009.

1. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Hello All,

I'm an ex-ASP.Net (VB) developer from the 1.1. days.

I could be looking to make a return to programming in the near future, but wondering what framework is best to learn for a new job (not for new technology)?

I fear also that I need to learn C# as it's taken over VB since I last programmed at work (back in 2006).

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Bah. I've never programmed in C#. Im still programming in VB.Net.

Which version you learn depends really. .Net 2 is still in use (we certainly develop using 2 primarily at the moment), but you could look at learning 3.5, since it introduces WPF/WCF/etc.

Learn whichever you want to really. Nothing really wrong with any of it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

Yes, but it seems London is asking more for C# these days (recently the British Museum was advertising for a ASP.Net/C# role); the need might be different around other parts of Britain.

Off-topic, I was up in Aberdeen two Decembers ago to train users on a CMS; how do you put up with the cold? :O Great highstreet though for shopping.

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Well there is that. Different markets have different requirements. Certainly nothing wrong with knowing both.

Aberdeen is ok. Generally you cope with the cold by moaning about it really :biggrin. They are actually building a huge shopping centre next to the train station. No idea when its due to open though.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

We use .NET 3.5 and absoloutely love it. There are loads of brilliant new features such as Linq. If there are a lot of things you are starting from fresh on then look at the video tutorials on Microsofts www.asp.net site. They have loads on there. A good thing to start looking at would be ASP.NET MVC. I think this will gain in popularity and makes things like unit testing much easier.

You can use VB.NET or C# and in general as long as you know the .NET framework well enough you can move between the two langauges. C# is more strict, it's my preffered language but we work in both.

Good luck
    Dom

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  6. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

It's the same in the USA; I recollect hearing from a US developer many years back. NY wanted more C#.

I didn't think that there was enough room to build nearby the station.

Well what I remember in December 2007 was Edinburgh was about 8 degrees. I headed on the train 2 hours north, and froze as I got off the train with minus something; it was a great experience.

7. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

When you've limited time, I think I'll opt for the one language for now. Thank you both.