What method did you use to study for the A+?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Juelz, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I was reading the All-in-one book by Mike Meyers got to 150pgs before coming to the conclusion this isn't the right book for me, I find it full of alot of "fluff", I'm all for extra learning but I think some of the legacy stuff he talks about just adds confusion when you are trying learn what the current technology does, so I am packing it in and going for the exam cram. I must say the Udemy course he has created is quite good and I am liking it very much, I think videos work better for me than reading books, the exam cram is 800pgs so I think this is reasonable and I think with professor messer videos included I can pass the A+. What method did you use?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. Juma

Juma New Member

3. Juma

Juma New Member

I exactly did the something bro, but I changed my mind a little late.I read 22 chapters then I realized that this book is not the right one for the exam! I ordered the cram 3 days ago today I am expecting to receive it.

4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

woah 22 chapters, thats basically the whole book.. did you take notes whilst reading or just read straight through? yeah tbh I'm not knocking meyers but this book is not a book for the exam its a mass IT book with comptia incorporated somewhere in the "fluff"

6. TrustyJ

TrustyJ New Member

I am just starting for the A+ cert. Like you, I picked up what appears to be the thickest book to prepare for this exam. I watch related professor messer's videos after reading a particular section in the book. I am 100+ pages in but plan on sticking with this book. Juelz, did you already take the test? Are you studying for the 800 or 900 exams?

Certifications: PMP
  7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi no I didn't take it, I have all the resources my mind just hasnt been in it tbh. I will eventually take it though; I already work in support so I dont really need to take it as I doubt it will open any doors for me.

8. csteffen28

csteffen28 New Member

I used The Prowse Exam cram book and watched professor messor's videos. I passed the 901 and 902 today by using those two. I think the videos helped me about as much as the book did.

9. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Nice one! Did you have prior experience?

10. csteffen28

csteffen28 New Member

I am currently taking my networking management degree , and I have been interning at a small IT software support company for about 5 months . Not a whole lot of exp. , but enough to be knowledgeable . Hardest thing for me to pin down was all the different data rates and pin/connector designs and specs.