What is wrong!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobbygravelle, Apr 22, 2009.

1. bobbygravelle

bobbygravelle New Member

My CPU fan runs constantly since start-up and it is very loud and obnoxious
    here is the diagnosis:
    http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=veryloud.png
    [​IMG]
    Is something wrong? Can I safely change the fan speed without overheating issues?

2. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Have you checked inside the case to make sure the heat sink isn't obstructed by dust and debris? That the heat sink is still mounted firmly to the CPU?

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  3. bobbygravelle

bobbygravelle New Member

Ill check right now, but I do not think that is the problem.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

your cpu fan should run from start up but if it is being noisy then I would do as said above as it could be clogged with dust.

Speed fan can be innacurate sometimes (depending on what model of cpu you have) as some cpus like the E8400 C2D can have the temps read inccorectly.

You may need to take of the thermal compound on your cpu and reapply some fresh paste then reattach a clean heatsink. Get some artic sliver 5 paste and some arti-clean to take of the old thermal compound.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

How old is the fan? if its been clogged with dust etc and is fairly old then it could be bearings going. Was it a stock fan and heatsink or an after market fan?
    As GBL said, CPU fans run constantly but they can vary thier speed dependant on heat from CPU, yours seems to be running at 100% and your temp seems a bit high if thats at idle (a good fan should set it around 45oC to 50oC maybe? with better fans cooling more etc) You can try slowing the fan to 80% and keep an eye on your temps to see how much they increase by.

(You also seem to have one thats really good at cooling as speedfan shows temp 3 to be -120oC now thats cool! :) )

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I've seen many PCs over the years that have the fan working overtime just because the heatsink isn't heated correctly. Worth a look.

Try booting the PC in safe mode, should put less load on the CPU and see how the fan reacts.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs