What is wrong with Windows XP search, please?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dee1810, Nov 1, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

haha! seen!

maybe si/jak forgot to out the clocks back..... :twisted:

if it's a physical error then file fixers wouldn't pick it up would they?

but then i suppose, a physical error would also affect data so....

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hello Moominboy

Remember the sdat file that I ran early, well, it is supposed to pick up any problems with my PC especially anything virus/trojan related.

Well, I have managed to save the report. Please take a look.
    I did search for this report, and my Windows Search actually ran Ok to find it, but I tried to just run it again by just asking for a file extension and it Didn't want to know again.

How would I have got a physical error on my hard-drive?
    Oh, My PC is working just fine except for this silly search thing. Does it have a folder on the hard-drive, and if so, where is it?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  3. moominboy

does what have a file on your hard drive? the search program?
    sure does, i found it earlier but i'll have to go looking again!

lots of different things could affect the integrity of your hdd, it's just a piece of hardware so it's just as prone to failing as anything else.

is it only file extensions that it goes crazy? even only certain file extensions?

4. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi again

Would you believe me if I told you that it seems to be working OK now.
    If I pick 10 different file extensions, it runs on about seven, but when I go back to the failed ones, It runs Ok for them.

The idea that it might not work if .xls was being searched, I think was a good point, but surely, It shouldn't make Too much of a difference. I mean, What would we do if we had completely lost a file, and was sure about its file ext.

I have just tried .xls, and it's spot on now.

Oh, Thank you so very much.

5. moominboy

de nada.

thats half of why this site exists i suppose!

the erratic-ness of the error would again suggest to me an infection of some kind but as you've tried that way....i'm stumped!!

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Your MacAfee super dat file report is as clean as a whistle.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you have no malware on your computer, it just means the sdat file couldn't find any. In fact I would go as far as to say the chances that your computer has some malware still on it are 100% The same goes for just about every PC that surfs the net. You need to use more than one tool to rid yourself of most of them. The only way to be absolutely sure is to do a clean install.

Have you allowed the indexing service to index the drive to improve it's search performance? Might be something worth trying! Right click the drive in windows explorer > properties and tick the appropriate check box.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi Bluerinse

Thanks for the help.

I have needed to use the Re-install disc about 6 times this year, as I did mention that I had a bad hard-drive earlier this year that has since been replaced. My PC now seems to be just fine. I did as you suggested and went into Windows Explorer, but I really don't want to start having to do a full re-install when I'm hoping to take my exams next Spring. I have loads of different Spyware/malware/virus software, and although, I can't always be 100% clean, I never let anything sit on my hard-drive for longer than A day.

8. moominboy

what were the other reasons for using the re-install disc? and when did you change the hdd?

sorry to hijack the thread a wee bit, but for my own curiousity, could power problems cause an hdd to fail prematurely?

:offtopic

9. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi Moomin

The reasons being were that from new, my PC's Hard-drive had always made a very odd kind of whistling noise, and I think that the support technician's easiest option was usually to help me create a brand new instance of Windows from My recovery disk (that was supplied with my PC when purchased.
    the first time was when I first connected to the internet :oops:
    Problem was that I wasn't educated enough, and foolishly connected a PC without protection. It took 2 minutes to get virused (BlasterWorm) I have had various viruses since including things like Multi-dropper F, Kuang only "kissed" my hard-drive and I couldn't start windows. The only reason that I have ever re-installed my hard-drive is on the suggestion of tech staff, but earlier on this year, things started to get ridiculous, so I asked for a new hard-drive as I am insured, and hey presto, no probs.
    No problems now though.
    I'm not totally thrilled with my security protection vendor, but they did always try to help me.
    My old drive just seemed to be vulnerable, but everything is fine now.
    Search is running OK, I removed all downloads from Monday, and everything is fine.

10. moominboy

downloads for what?

i bet it's been mentioned but i'm in a wee hurry? :tongue

11. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

:D :blink

I'm sorry mate! I was telling you that I had installed Netscape as part of the course material for CIW Foundations. It comes on a lab files, but it is a version that needs really to be updated, so as soon as I did that, I started to download - notice other versions (anyway, you're right, It is a boring story...)

The new version of Netscape - I couldn't find Composer, so I had to uninstall.... (yawn)

Best Wishes

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Actually I find that quite interesting. I had a quick look at Netscape's site and you are right, they seem to have dropped the *Composer* element. It is a shame I think as composer was a good product for beginners to use to get to grips with designing web sites. The HTML generated may not have been perfect but it was a lot better than the rubbish Front Page spits out.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)