what is the relationship between upload speed and the speed of opening a web page?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Oct 24, 2007.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

think you have a local web server in your house and also your upload speed is 256 and download
    is 1024 Kbps (for adsl)

and other

512 upload and 2048 download (for adsl)

upload speed is needed for you (server owner) not for the clients who has to reach you.
    i mean if your upload speed is not 512 but 1024 , you will see your page is opened 2 times faster

somewhere i read this : "how much bigger your upload speed causes that your web pages
    will be opened faster "

the thing i am trying to say here is this doesn't effect directly , i mean in dsl if your upload
    is bigger cause your download speed will be faster too and pages will be opened faster

Certifications: CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Web hosting has to be done properly if things are going to work as they should do.

*internet connection should be a leased line with failover.
    *high spec firewall
    *high spec server(s) with load balancing/clustering depending on the technical requirements of the website.

It’s not as simple as that, ADSL lines are flakey and there is always a contention ratio on the line. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As Sparky says just because you have a certain speed it does not mean you always get that.

Take my line fore example usually I can download a file at 238KBps but sometime its less than that, it depend how much traffick there is.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ummmm. It doesnt.

Download speed is the speed information is sent from the internet to your network. Upload is from your network to the internet. Hence why upload is usually drastically lower then download, since most people dont need upload speeds to be very fast.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

must... avoid... posting... comments!!! :eek:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm not entirely sure what you are saying here. If you are sitting at the same location as your web server then DSL doesn't matter of course. However, other things being equal, then the speed that you fetch a web page from elsewhere will depend on the download speed.

The speed that people remote from your web server, and accessing that server, will see will depend on your upload speed.

And increasing the upload speed on a line does *not* mean that the download speed will increase, it might decrease.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+