1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is the latest certifications available after n+?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by zizobouta, Aug 14, 2015.

1. zizobouta

zizobouta Bit Poster

still looking at the mostly updated certifications after n+ which i passed. do you guys know the best way ?
    i dlike desktop help or it technician? thanks for help

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

the A+ would probably be the logical next step if you want to get into desktop support

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

I agree with the above. If you are looking at getting into desktop support or an IT technician go for the A+. But to answer your question on what is the current certification after the Net+; I would naturally suggest the Security+. Unfortunately that won't do you much good for getting a job as desktop support.

If you want to go along the desktop support route to work your way up I would go A+ > MCSE

4. zizobouta

zizobouta Bit Poster

thanks Apexes, i have an updated level 2 computer engineering (similar to a+) so really don t need a+ or do i really? it was hard ware course nearly 7 months took me and got certified now i passed n+ and may be like VINCE said MCSE OR MCSA would be next step don t you think Vince and by the way thank you guys again

5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i didn't think there were any exams involved in the BTEC Level 2? unless it's changed recently, or i'm thinking of something else.

A+ in my opinion is a ton more advanced than the level 2, i would favor an A+ qualification when i recruit our desktop guys any day.

An MCSA or MCSE at this point in your career won't do you any favors. As Vince said, if you're after Desktop, get the A+ under your belt, secure that first job role and then start on the MCSA/MCSE route.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Top Poster
    of the Month

I have a feeling he's talking about this http://kanduit.co.uk/

Certifications: MTA Windows Fundamentals, ITIL Foundation, Apple Mac Integration 10.12
    WIP: MTA Networking Fundamentals| MTA Windows Server Administration Fundamentals
  7. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hello,

If you want to work in Desktop support I would suggest the following to give you a broadened skill set for that role:

Hardware: A+ if you feel you already have enough knowledge then move on to the below:
    Microsoft Desktop Qualification (One or a combination of) 70-680 and 70-685 for Win7, 70-687 and 70-688 for Win 8 or wait for Win10
    Networking: Net+

The above should be more than enough to land you a desktop support or it technician role. In my opinion, once you've got a bit of hands on experience you can then make a decision on where you're next certification path goes, whether that be MCSA/MCSE Windows Server, Networks (e.g. CCNA) etc.

Hope that helps.

Crazy Horse

8. zizobouta

zizobouta Bit Poster

yes julez you re right it s the kanduit btec level 2. is it useless? i had a btec level 2 exam at a centre and passed it thought it ll replace A+. and i agree apexes a+ is a top good course i regret now i did that btec but if i follow crazy horse s idea i might get that desktop route easier . think ill start a+ :::(((( . thanks crazy horse you gave me a clear path and thanks guys again

9. zizobouta

zizobouta Bit Poster

crazy horse, can i do Microsoft Desktop Qualification without doing A+?

10. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Sure, the A+ is not a pre-requisite to do the Microsoft exams.

For the Microsoft certificate pathway take a look here. The purple line is the desktop (client) track that I mention in my earlier post.

11. zizobouta

zizobouta Bit Poster

nice chart crazy horse, im sorry to be a pain asking too many questions, i can t see MCDST on this chart, is MCDST an old certification? is it possible, for job hunting reasons, to do MCDST OR MCITP after N+ ? will i land any job even help desk just for experience after which i can go higher? your time is appreciated ::)

12. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Yes, you can do a MCITP after N+. The MCDST was for Windows XP and so has been retired and replaced by client exams for Windows 7 and 8 (10 should be soon)

To get the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician for say Windows 7, you would need to pass both the 70-680 and the 70-685. All the MCITP qualifications with details of the required exams are here.

As you're looking for a Desktop Support role the ones listed under "Windows Client" in the link above would be appropriate.

By doing the above exams it shows you have a baseline knowledge to support end users in a Desktop environment and will certainly help you in the job hunt.

13. zizobouta

zizobouta Bit Poster

great stuff thanks crazy horse, you know big decisions one has to make when choosing a course or a path, your help is clearer with great details, thank you once again :cheers:cheers

14. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Top Poster
    of the Month

I really wouldn't go for any MCSA without experience.. seriously man you are probably in the right position to apply for IT Helpdesk roles, the BTEC is a useful as the knowledge you gained for it, you don't have to sit the A+ possibly just buy the All-In-One book and read through the material without sitting the exam. It's up to you, if you're that set on certification get the A+ to accompany the N+ you have.

Certifications: MTA Windows Fundamentals, ITIL Foundation, Apple Mac Integration 10.12
    WIP: MTA Networking Fundamentals| MTA Windows Server Administration Fundamentals
  15. zizobouta

zizobouta Bit Poster

great man juelz , you put life in me again thank you ::)))