What is the difference between enterprise and reatil version?

Discussion in 'Software' started by asian_100, Aug 4, 2007.

1. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

Hi ppl

Just wanted to know What is the difference between enterprise and reatil version?

Thanks

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Of what? :blink

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

One is something you buy in a shop.
    The other is a Federation starship...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'll have to assume you are talking about Windows Server 2003. The SBS edition (which I guess you could buy over the counter) and the Enterprise Edition.

SBS is aimed at small businesses and has ISA server and also Exchange server all in one product and is intended for a single server with a small number of machines connecting to it.

Enterprise is aimed at a large business and you only get windows server itself. It also allows the use of servers with higher numbers of processors and larger amounts of ram when compared with SBS or Standard edition. You can also use clustering with Enterprise if I remember correctly which you can't do with SBS or Standard.

Maybe I'm wasting my time and I should have waited till you gave us the other half of the puzzle, ie the product you have in mind. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. asian_100

asian_100 Bit Poster

I am talking about Microsoft Office 2007.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Office 2007 enterprise edition: aimed at large corporate companies (dell, hp, etc) for use on their machines.

Office 2007 retail edition: the basic or average or experienced home user and/or small to medium businesses.

Same goes for Windows XP Pro. You have the corporate edition and the retail edition.

The upside to the corporate edition? when you install it, there is no need for a key or activation. The downside? Only a select few allow you to install without a key and activation.

Dont take my word for it tho, I just got that from a source :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life