What is the best language for me to learn?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Big_nath, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I have wanted to learn a foreign language for a while. Which language do you guys think is best for me to learn?

I want to boast my CV, So I looking for a language that will be relevant to a IT career in the European market.

Thanks

:biggrin:blink:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A bit bias, but how about German? It covers Germany, Austria, Beguim and parts of the Czech Rep.

Or there's Dutch, which covers: Holland, Beguim & Suriname.

Saying that, it does depend on what part of Europe you go to.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

French and Spanish also cover a wide area of countries

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I'm looking to stay in the UK, but I suppose I want to know which language would be most useful to have on my CV.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You can see stats here re european languages.

Saying that if you're looking for a language that is spoken by 1 out of every 5 people, look at Chinese.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Spanish. Most widely spoken language on Earth after English. Failing that, you could learn a language that would be useful in the business world (Chinese, Urdu, Russian, German are all good choices)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

English... :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Fergal1982

Careful with that declaration. There is no such language as "Chinese" per se. "Chinese" is actually made up of at least 12 different "dialects", each of which share the same written language (with a few minor differences between them), but have almost no relation between them in terms of spoken.

The most common (and widely spoken) dialect is Mandarin (or more accurately, putonghua).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I've been looking at learning Modern Arabic recently.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. Fergal1982

Funny you should mention it. It had crossed my mind as a future language possibility. Although I'm thinking Russian first.

That said, I'm a long way from being proficient with Mandarin, so I'll take my time.

11. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

If you learn the language of love you will be fine.

Certifications: A few.
  12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Why is that? French is gash.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Parts of Switzerland too. :biggrin

Any of the main european languages would be a good choice. As mentioned French, German, Spanish and possibly Russian.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Erm yeah probably best you learn English mate, that Manc language you speak is barely a language.....

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  15. matt645

matt645 Bit Poster

I can't believe no-one has mentioned an Indian language yet (though I have no idea which one would be appropriate), the world is awash with Indian outsourcers all wanting a piece of the lucrative IT pie.

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why would this make me want to lean an Indian language? Sorry; I really don't care to make it easier for companies to transition to outsourced labor.

In any case, there's not a big demand for expensive Western labor who can speak Hindi... there's a big demand for cheap Indian labor who can speak English.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Greenlandic

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  18. matt645

matt645 Bit Poster

I don't want to make it easier either but I know of many developers who have to manage a team of cheap offshore resources, they are given little choice.

Think about it, every major player has cut its western workforce year on year whilst investing heavily in the east, they recognised the west is a shrinking market and they know where their future revenue streams are coming from, India and China are rapidly becoming economic super powers and that can't be ignored.

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I'm going to manage a team of cheap offshore resources, I'll manage them in English. Again, I don't HAVE to make it easier for an employer to outsource jobs that my neighbors could be working. If you feel the need to do so to make a buck, and you can sleep at night afterwards, then do so.

A shrinking market? Not at all. More saturated, perhaps. But not shrinking. And many of those outsourced jobs are coming back... at least, they are in the States.

India and China ARE rapidly becoming economic super powers. Guess what language Chinese kids are required to learn in school? You got it... English. I don't know for certain, but I suspect India is the same.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. matt645

matt645 Bit Poster

I don't want to and I'm too old to start learning a new language anyway, when an Indian outsourcer needs someone to communicate and manage a large team in Bangalore who do you think would stand a better chance of getting that gig? I don't want this to happen but it's already a reality in the UK.

In the UK our government has sold out to big business, they don't care for their own indigenous workforce, Indians are coming in left right and centre by abuse of the 'Inter Company Transfer' scheme, Indian IT firms advertise in the UK at ridiculously low rates then use the lack of interest as 'proof' that skills don't exist thus allowing them to bring in the skills from India at a much reduced rate, they don't need to outsource anymore, they are replacing us on our own soil!

For 3 years straight I've seen my income take a dive, I'm not even working at the moment because IBM sold out my work to Fujitsu and the only markets I see growing are in the east and in Europe eastern companies are moving in on our patch. I don't know the US market but following discussions on LinkedIn I can see it's not exactly rosy over there either, sadly I think the tough times are here to stay for a while and the increased competition will make it even tougher.