What is missing?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by kobem, Feb 5, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I managed to share files between two computers. They both see each other'S name. But, i can not
    exit to the Internet from the other computer. ( the one not connected directly to the modem)
    Everything has been done properly that has to be done for ICS, however, i can not access Internet.

First computer(the one directly connected to the modem also has the wireless adapter) :

. On the network and sharing center screen --> i see multiple networks and Internet. Under these,
    i see Lalakers(SSID) and wired LAN.

Second computer (the one has to get Internet access via radio waves from the first) :

. On the network and sharing center screen --> i see name of this computer then Lalakers but right side is greyed going to the Internet

If local side IP address of my modem assigned 192.168.1.1 , which IP addresses should i assign to these laptops for these wireless IP configuration also default gateway?

IP address of first computer :
    Default gateway of first computer:

IP address of second computer:
    Default gateway of second computer:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It’s been a while but I believe on the first computer (the one that is connected to the internet), you don’t need a default gateway on the wireless adaptor as it will used the wired connection to access the web.

On the second PC you need the default gateway to be the wireless adaptors IP address on the first computer.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

So IP configuration should be like this on the first computer ? : IP address --> 192.168.1.2
    D.G --> not assigned

on the second ? : IP address --> 192.168.1.3
    D.G -> 192.168.1.2

4. Sparky

Yup 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It sounds like you haven't set up ICS properly on the main PC.

See here and here.

When you set up ICS on the "main" PC the setting are set up for you, the "second" PC will obtain a DHCP address automatically from the "main" PC (this includes the Default gateway).

Another thing to check is the proxy in IE.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Thanks so much for caring with me. However, can not i assign 192.168.1.2 and 1.3 to wireless adapters? i mean
    numbers just after the local side of wired ethernet network adapter which is 192.168.1.1.

7. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

With ICS you are not the one to assign the IP addresses, Windows does. If you do try to assign the IP addresses manually, you may end up with various issues/problems (like the one your experiencing).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Shortly, nothing worked.

I tried in both ways.

. When i made it possible to assign IP addresses automatically, the first computer got this IP address : 169.254.165.194 whereas second one got 169.254.39.85.

On the first computer and the second computer i ticked the option about sharing Internet connection. However, nothing is working at the moment.

. When i ignore ICS, by giving IP addresses statically, it requires me to assign default gateway. But, it also
    shows me a message about using more than default gateway(192.168.1.1 for wired LAN, 192.168.0.1 for
    Wireless LAN as the default gateway on the second computer pointing the first computer.) The other
    problem i met was specifying DNS servers.

Why doesn't it work?

9. Sparky

How many network connections do you have on the second computer?

10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i will assist you with these pictures captured just a few minutes ago from those two computers

Now pictures from the "first(host) computer" sorted

One
    [​IMG]

Two
    [​IMG]

Three (for things which you may not see IP address of local side of this host --> 169.254.165.194)
    [​IMG]

Four
    [​IMG]

Five
    [​IMG]

From the second computer :

One
    [​IMG]

Two (IP address of local side for this host is 169.254.39.85)
    [​IMG]

And last
    [​IMG]

due to looking at these, lets end this issue please.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  11. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

hey Sparky, what can you say about these pics i have posted?