What is a 'Training Provider' and how are they different from each other?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Arroryn, Nov 7, 2008.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

That could be said about anyone in any given situation, if you dangle sweets in front of a child, do you really think the child is going to think about what would happen if they took the sweets?:blink

Yes people, don't look before they jump (into the frying pan), but they a like everyone else on this planet, they make a mistake and learn by it! They either moan about it or do something about it!8)

:hhhmmm I disagree there, I think a lot of people get alarm bells ringing after they have been told they can be expected to be on £37K in their first job and the TP will guarantee them the job!

It's like that old saying "if it's too good to be true" it probably is! That's why alot people then search google and eventually end up finding Certforums! (IMHO)8)

I must of missed that thread? Can you expand on this?:blink

2 threads??? I thought this was the only one?:blink

I disagree, you can set yourself up to fail and most people who take the self study route, do that! By not sticking to their targets/goals and lossing their motivation to learn!

You sell yourself a dream, that sometime in the future you have a cert and be in a job you enjoy doing, earning a decent wage! But unless you put the time and effort into learning/studying and invest yourself then in the you ripping yourself off! (IMHO)8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

GBL

A few of the guys have said how well this thread is going and that the fact in some sense, yes, we have to agree to disagree.

Do you always have to drag the thread down, I know and I'm pretty sure we all know by now you hate TP's with a passion. For once, let the thread commence without your hatred view on TP's with no back up of personal experinces.

This is not a direct attack on you personally as I do think you contribute 100% to CF, but sometimes, just sit back and let it go.

MrM

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would have, never like sweets anyhow unless they were cola bottles.

But they don't look because they have been fed full of BS.

I disagree, greed is the main thing that drives our society today, most people go for jobs that should offer them the most money. Remember our friend who thought he was gonna get 30k for his first IT job then decided to be a driving instructor since you earn 30k if you are one of them?

Which is BS just like the TPs state. With the driving instructor thing, you have to lease a car, pay for the fuel and get your own students. So you only earn 30k if your lucky.

It's like that old saying "if it's too good to be true" it probably is! That's why alot people then search google and eventually end up finding Certforums! (IMHO)8)

It was just a thread where I asked, why did I know that the MCSE was for pros and other people now don't know this.

HWn I was at college we had notices up talking about the MCSE (was for NT3.51 I think) talking about how it was a cert for pros, this info is also available on the Microsoft website. I was aksing why dont people know this? is it because if they get the MCSE they think they'll get big money or is it because they are ignorant.

aye two today, cant be arsed to dig them out.

Yep with self study you have to remain foccussed to achieve the goals but you aren't paying about 2 3rds of what it should cost you to study that cert. Each has their benefits and pitfalls but the more I see from TPs is pitfalls.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

I guess my post wasn't read quick enough :dry

5. greenbrucelee

were have I dragged this thread down? tell me and I will appologise.

Nowhere have I done so unless saying that there has been two threads today pointing out that they have been done by a TP. seems like there is always a 2 -1 in bad experiences with TPs

6. greenbrucelee

maybe I was typing when you were.

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

is that the ones with the sugar coated on them (I think there called fizzy cola bottles) or the ones without?

You don't like sweets? what about Hairbo Star mix?:blink

yes and no! Some do go sign up knowing what hey have signed up for (like arroryn) others don't realise what they have got themselves into until they have to hand over a wad of cash or locked into a commitment, that is not flexiable! (as Dmarsh referred to).

I disagree, although with the above remark, you could get a job working for the labour party!:twisted:

Some people choose IT because they enjoy it and yes they do look to see how much the wages are, because at the end of the day we have bills to pay!8)

Now this is where your opinion goes a bit cloudy! You referring to certain TP's that may lie through their teeth to get a person money! but not all TP's are like this and that's what you have yet to discover!

I don't blame you for feeling the way you do about TP's but I hope someday you will experience this!8)

:hhhhmmm I guess I will have to borrow wizards JCB digger and have a dig in the archive for the thread!:biggrin

8. greenbrucelee

no never liked sweets choccy biscuits like Twix n jaffa cakes thats a different story :)

Don't get me wrong , I realise some people don't do their reseacrch until;l very late on, but that is the the keyword do research and work out your best options.

Obvousley some people choose IT because they love it, like me. But some people choose careers they believe will get the m oney the quickest (remember out friend?) He thought he would be on 30k with the A+ and no experience.:blink

I realise that not all TPs are bad, but what seems to be the general way of things (Do a search) you'll more vthreads with bad xp than good xp.

LOL :D

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

but isn't that because people like to moan? I mean look at the news, would they report a plane that took off from London and landed safely in France? No they would report it if something bad had happen to it!

Do people really raise a thread on CF stating how fantastic TP's are and what a wonderful experience they have had with them?

Yes sometimes, but then someone has ago at them!
    That's why there are very little threads on the postive side of TP's???
    Because they get stoned to death, like people who post links to BD's sites.

Some members think if someone post about how wonderful a TP is they either work for them or they are talking out of their @ss. They might as well paint a target on their head or wear a sign saying please insult me I love TP's:rolleyes:

So the majority don't post! That's the problem! can you see where I'm going with this or do I have to draw some pictures!:twisted:

10. greenbrucelee

I have never read a thread on here that has slated soemone for going with a TP, I have read threads where people have had a bad experience and someone has said did you not consider self study instead of the TP..

I don't see where anyone has been insulted for going with a TP but people have said I have spent 4k on a course and they never got me a job. All people say is you shouldn't fall for the we will get you a job crap.

It may sway people if there were more threads on peoples good experiences with training providers but most of the time it's people complaining about their bad experiences.

11. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

A provider of training?

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  12. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Been without an internet connection for the last 48 hours :cry: but this thread has turned out very informative with lots of valid points either way. I'm sure it won't be the last one on the subject either!

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Thanks for the contributions so far gents, it's been an informative thread with some great constructive comments from both sides of the fence (which is what I was looking for - a balanced debate from each side).

So now we can ascertain that training providers aren't recommended on CF mainly because of their hard sell techniques and extortionate costs.

Even as someone who has happily used a DTP, I cannot deny these two facts. Distance training providers are an expensive outlay, and their marketing techniques leave a lot to be desired, as far as being a moral human being is concerned.

But what about the material they provide? We have seen situations on CF, not just recently, where people have signed up for a DTP (distance training provider) but pulled out before starting the course fully. They then advise anyone looking at the DTP to avoid at all costs.

But what benefit is this to the OP asking the question?

It leads us back to the point about studying methods being a personal choice.

If one person doesn't find what they are expecting from a course, that doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. And more importantly, if someone never fully started a course, how can they then recommend to anyone enquiring about it that the course isn't up to scratch, having never vaguely (never mind fully) utilised what was on offer?

GBL's point on the DTPs expense and hard sell, and not recommending them because of this, is more than fair and valid. But if the OP still decides to take a look at the DTP... what then? How do you advise them on the kind of material and treatment they would expect from their £X,XXX?

I'm mainly looking for the input of those with positive or negative DTP experiences now, but importantly, those who have completed at least one cert in the package that was sold to them.

Please, don't specify details of publications, etc, or the DTP name, as I don't want yourself or CF to be compromised in any way - especially if the feedback is negative.

Myself, whilst I was discouraged by the shoddy-looking nature of the material, the writing itself was accurate and whilst it didn't cover the elements in as much depth as I'd have liked, it was more than enough to pass the exam, and obtain an overall grasp of the theory. I have always been the kind of person that wanted to read around a topic from as many different angles as possible to get a rounded perspective, so one book, no matter how complete or high-quality, is invariably never enough for me.

I found the administration of the course was dealt with quickly and efficiently. When my TMAs were completed and I sat my exams, I received my refunds promptly enough without any fuss, and my enrollment on the Cisco Academy program was seamless, with no great effort / input needed on my part to get the account underway.

Any others?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. greenbrucelee

That is why I dislike them, when I saw the difference in cost by self study and the cost of self study with a TP I couldn't justify it.

I couldn't advise and wouldn't advise on a TPs material as I wouldn't know, I could only go by what someone has said.

Exactly, something can be good for one person but not for another.

Thanks, I only point out the cost thing as I have just recently came out of debt and it ruined my life for 5 years and has had a big knock on effect that will probably take another 3-4 years before I can get where I want to be. I don't want anyone to be in the same situation, people have commited suicide over what I just gone through, if I can stop people ruining their lives by getting into debt I will.

can't comment on this.

15. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

The A+ material was pretty average but since I've completed this course I believe my TP are now using Mike Meyers material which can only be a good thing. The 2 day class for this module were very informative and worthwhile.

Passed the 70-271 and currently studying 70-272 using the MS Press books supplied and Transcender mocks. Both of which are more than adequate. Only had the 2 day class for the 271 so far but again very useful.

I've been in contact with tutors on a few occasions and had prompt and informative responses.

All in all, more than happy with materials used and help from TP tutors.

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I came fairly late into IT and decided that to get anywhere I needed a piece of paper that said I could do what I knew I could. I did use a training provider, which I shall not name here but if you are REALLY interested search the forum I've mentioned them before. Bearing in mind this was before CF so searching for details was "difficult".

Can't remember how much I spent on my course, but I did use a CDL. I was very happy with the TP, questions were answered quickly, extra study material was loaned on request, someone always returned calls and problems were sorted out.

Perhaps I was lucky, but I did go over my alloted time by 12 months (I was on a 24 month course). At that time I had a few problems and after I explained to them why I was not on target they were very understanding and gave me another 12 months.

Now would i do the same again. Hmmm, i think not. If I were to study a subject, I would want to do it in my own time and not have a time limit imposed on me before support is withdrawn. However I would look at both options before I made my choice and I would only use a TP on MY terms not theirs. The other reason I would think twice is this place. We have some great members here and their depth of knowledge is far better than mine, so as a community we all benefit.

That's me then.

Ohh one other thing I would add and this is with my CF Admin hat on. Your views on the forums are not the views of CF's staff or it's owner. On a number of occasions the royal "We recommend ......" errmmm no we don't. YOU do as the poster. Please remember this, CF is vender and self study/TP neutral.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Again, you misunderstood. Boson is a training provider not just because we offer training materials, but because we offer live classroom training.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I was just trying to distinguish it from other 'providers'. It's not misunderstanding, it's under-quoting. What I said was possibly enough for the context of the debate, though feel free to have a read through the thread and contribute, as you do have a great amount of knowledge in the Certification industry from a creation viewpoint.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But... that part of Boson's business cannot truly be separated from the other providers, as they actually have live classroom training, just like other classroom training providers. Granted, it's not a large portion of the business at all, and that's not what Boson is known for. But know that when I recommend self study, I'm turning people away from that side of our business, even though I believe Boson is one of the "good" TPs.

I think everything that's needed to be said has pretty much been said in this thread:

1) There are good TPs, and there are bad TPs.
    2) You should always do your research before signing up for ANYTHING - including training - that costs that much money.
    3) Most of the people here who advocate self study typically do because a) there are some bad TPs out there, and you can't rip yourself off doing self study, and b) unbeknownst to many newbies, you don't HAVE to take a course to pursue a certification, and you can save a lot of money by foregoing the course.

What more needs to be said? :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. Grant

Grant Bit Poster

Has anyone successfully withdrawn from a course with a traingin provider and received a refund in full of their fees? I signed up in Feb this year after giving it a lot of thought.

I've worked in the Civil Service for 16 years and wanted a change of career that would provide better job satidfaction and enable me to earn more money quicker. I weighed up all of the pro's and cons and decided to go for it. My main concern was "how would I get a foot in the door within the IT industry with a qualification and little experience?" I currently earn just over 20K a year and made it clear that unless I would be in a position to better that figure by 3 or 4 grand more a year there was no way I would consider embarking on a change of direction. The "salesman" told me that with my previous working experience that there was no way I would take a drop in salary and would be able to achieve my stated aim. What convinced me was what I was told next. "When you go for an interview you are the only one in for the position. It is your job to lose". This was also rpeated in front of my wife at a second visit. That was the main thing that swung it for me when I made my decision. I have since discovered that this was a complete lie and I would be competing with everyone else for jobs i.e people with the same or beter qualifications and more importantly the experience.

I spoke to the Training Provider and told them I was mis-sold the training and wanted to withdraw with a full refund. They told me that I had been told a load of rubbish and would look into my claim. I received a letter at the weekend to say that they had spoke to the guy who came to see me and could not confirm what I had said. As far as they are concerned they will do they can to help me meet my aim of working in IT and if I have any issues with the fees I need to take it up with the loan provider.

All as I expected but I am taking this further and would appreciate any advice from anyone who has had a similar experience.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Microsoft MCDST, MCTS, MCITP