What industry pays the most for their IT staff?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Mar 31, 2010.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hey Guys.

I had an interesting chat with some of the folks at work the other day. We were debating what industry pays the highest or most LUCRATIVE salary for their IT staff?

Healthcare
    Education
    Professional Services (Legal, accounting, management consultants) etc
    Sales/Retail
    Investment Banking
    Hospitality
    etc

The general consensus was the professional services and investment banks. Obviously the city mentioned most was London, where most of the IT market is, but the increase in cost of living compared to other parts of the uk was also taken in to consideration.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not sure, it really does depend on the individual organisation with in each sector and what duties/responsibilties that the role entails. Within the education sector, even though they are trying to standardise pay, I have seen IT manager positions anywhere from £18k to above £50k.

Plus even though I work in the education sector, we also offer IT Services/Support to external organsation (so even though we are class as education we have also catered for other sectors like engineering). So sectors can cross over.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I would say investment banking but also small niche industries makes lots of money. I work in Canary Wharf and like you said the pay is more but so is travelling, living costs etc. but its not all about money dont forget that :)

Certifications: A few.
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I think the Banking sector probably pays the best over here in Switzerland. I had a really sweet salary back then...

Pharmaceutical sector is probably second highest, but there's greater variance in the salaries being offered.

Consulting can be good for some if there's a bonus incentive program and your utilization is high :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude! :eek: You bring up the subject of salary more than any IT guy I know. You're absolutely fixated on it. In less than 200 posts, you've posted questions or concerns about salary considerations here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, all the way back to your 2nd post! :blink And that doesn't count the numerous threads you've posted about the recession, about the job market, and about "moving up" in IT!

Really, dude, does it matter? The higher salary will likely be offset by higher stress, increased responsibilities, long working hours, and extended periods of travel away from home.

Further, those sectors might pay their top-level techs a bunch but pay their low-level techs a pittance. So you can't simply say, "Investment banks pay more". It depends on a large variety of factors, such as how well the company is doing, how badly they need techs, what the employment situation is like in their area of the country, and the job responsibilities required of the employee.

If you spent even HALF as much time focusing on certifications, experience, and doing well in your current job as you do worrying about salary considerations, your position on the "career ladder", and your next job, you'd probably be much better off. Just my 2c.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

^^^ This ^^^

Word for word.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

What i have learned is that most mangers in big organisations have actually given up caring which makes their job a lot easier.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Agreed.

fatp if your in IT for the money then your about 20 years too late, you need a time machine.

And reppage to BM just for searching through all those posts and linking them :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. BosonMichael

Which relates to this thread how?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. BosonMichael

It wasn't difficult at all... it was like searching for hay in a haystack.

11. greenbrucelee

lol, it will have took some time though.

I'd just like to know from fatp why every post he has done is all about who is the best to work for and who pays the most money. If IT was really what he wanted to do he wouldn't care.

I just hope he isn't another alih who thought he would earn 30k a year after he got his A+ which he failed twice and hasn't been back since his last failure.

12. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

.. lmao

13. BosonMichael

The fact that you don't take this seriously is a huge indicator that you are destined to continue your career the same way you have in the past.

Perhaps someday you'll realize that the reason you continue to struggle in the field is because you don't listen to experienced IT professionals who attempt to advise you.

14. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

FatP, you really need to get a grip and focus on your own career.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  15. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

The police pay quite a bit more than most private sector stuff.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Working in IT can get you good money.... 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Most definately mate, I started in IT in June 2008 and have increased my earnings by £11K over the same period in the height of the recession.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  18. Sparky

Yup, you deserve it mate. Hard work got you the £££....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  19. greenbrucelee

you forgot to add......to pay of the thousand you owe to a training provider who over certified you and now your working in mcdonalds for the rest of your life. :twisted:

20. Sparky

LOL! You think I'm some kinda salesman? :biggrin