What host hardware spec for VMWare or Virtual PC

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by dpbarry, Apr 6, 2009.

1. dpbarry

dpbarry Bit Poster

Hi Folks..

I've decided to take a peek into the virtualisation world and use VMWare but what would folk recommend the minimum spec be for the host. I'd like to have the ability to run up to 3 Windows 2003 servers and a couple of Windows XP or possibly Vista workstations - mainly XP Stations.

This would mainly be for a test environment but at the same time, I see possibilities for my work in the future (I work in a School) mainly on the day to day operations for the new building - i.e. Telecoms, Door Entry, Heating System, CCTV etc.

Regards

Declan

Certifications: None at present
    WIP: None at present
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

The best thing to consider is that the more RAM you have, the better it is. So if you have a choice between more RAM and a faster CPU - go for the RAM every time. That said, I've run XP boxes with VMWare Server 1.x with three W2K3 server VMs on 2Gb of RAM and a P4 before, so most reasonably recent desktops should be able to cope with a test environment like the one you've suggested.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. dpbarry

dpbarry Bit Poster

Cheers for that..

Many thanks

Declan

Certifications: None at present
    WIP: None at present