What have u done today ?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Bambino1506, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Thought it might be interesting to see what PC problems people have encountered during their day at work or even at home, and how they were resolved :)

And also what progress people have made with their studying kinda thing, could keep updating it each day.

I'm on holiday from work today, went round my MIL's and fixed a DLL error with the help of Paul from CF :D, also ran a spyware scan, defragged the C:, replaced colour ink cart in printer.

Read 30 pages of the A+ certification book for dummies, its written for the 2003 objectives so I am trying to have a quick read through before my 2006 material arrives, Meyers book etc. Finished chapter on CPU's and started learning about the different types of RAM.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Sounds like a productive day!

Mine was a little less so, I had to create a few new letters on our database using Access, involving a few new queries; Replace a few bits on our Xerox Phaser, Setup a couple of new phone lines and computers for new members of staff, which also required a bit of networking and that was about it!

There was the usual daily backups and bits, reading the "Expansion Bus" chapter in A+ All in one by Mike Meyers as well, so not a bad day all in all!

Interesting thread though! :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Bambino1506

Sounds fun Paul.

Are u responsible for server backups at ur place 2 then ? I'm 1st line and thats our task at our place, monitoring them via backup exec etc.

Is expansion bus the same as external bus mate ?

4. archie

archie Bit Poster

Well, today has been spent fixing a few printers and lots of s/ware installs. My company is upgrading security s/ware so we have our hands full with that. The day went so quick. Managed to get a bit of reading for the 70-270 over a brief lunch hour! Going to try and do some more tonight (if I can keep my eyes away from the footie!)

Certifications: MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: Lets decide tomorrow...
  5. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Today I played Counterstrike:source, then was rang up by the contracting agency to tell me that my first day of my new job is on the 23rd of this month. So my life of gaming, dossing and relaxing will end on that day. For you who dont know its a 1st line IT support role. So i'll be working fulltime for the first time in my life.

Other than that I read CustomPC and read up a bit on routers and RRAS for my 70-291 exam.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

In work at 7 doing the server checks (making sure overnight backups were complete, all services had restarted) for about 20 NT servers.

Spent a couple of hours, reassigning calls to different teams and trying to get other to do the donkey work they should be doing!
    Attended one call where the user had come back after 2 weeks leave to find out all of his documents had been deleted from his sharepoint server area (told him he shouldn't have given everyone "modify" permission on his area! :dry ) - that'll all get restored by the server team so no real drama there.
    Fixed a new transfer belt in a Lexmark C912 printer (pain in the butt they are!)
    Spent about 2 hours this afternoon before finishing trying to work out why the C912 right next to it won't print from trays 2, 3 or 4 and why A3 documents won't get queue up in the printer queue..... (hopeful to finish it tomorrow).

Quite a quiet day really.

ps - good idea about what we do each day - also makes me realise that I have been productive today and not sat in the office drinking tea for no reason! :biggrin

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. Bambino1506

U'll soon be pwning users instead of noobs then mate :biggrin :)

8. Bambino1506

This sounds exactly like a day in my job, reassigning tickets to the correct groups :twisted: :D

9. Bambino1506

Got united game on here, do some more reading when mrs watches WAG's boutique.

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Nothing. My PCs are running well. I wrote a review this morning and am working on my book this afternoon.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm busy cleaning up last-minute stuff so I can begin training a replacement. My last day here is April 27; I start at Boson on the 30th.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

To be honest mate, im responsible for just about everything IT related, I work for a small company, has around 60 users at one site. There is a systems developer who gets his hands dirty every now and again, but aside from that its only me! A steep learning curve which I enjoy though.

Regarding expansion bus and external bus, they are simply different names for the same thing!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  13. Bambino1506

Paul sounds like a job you will learn lots from then.

On holiday from work still today, nearly finished reading chapter on hard drives and other storage devices, finish it later. Aiming for a chapter a day now, seems a good amount.

14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey guys,

Today was pretty busy for me.

Basically got in to work around 9 am and had to setup a fax number for a user, setup a printer for other users, ghost a few computers for spares, begin creating a sql server with the 2k3 server os, and ghost a few more computers to send out to a different location.

Troubleshooting wise well had to replace a hard and for that had to make a quick trip to the nearest store, not a big issue but just time consuming.

Here I am still at work working on the SQL server.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Spent most of the morning repairing an old Exchange 2k server for a new client as part of a 2003 migration, working now, just!

Afternoon devised a migration stratagy for the PCs (group policy and deployment of applications) so should be ready to migrate this week. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Bambino1506

back to work today, fairly quiet, been doing a few IPL's of mainframe systems.

Started chapter on PSU's.

Got my eye on a few old compaq desktops out the back, one is a P3 the rest are Pentium Pro's, should be great to mess about with :biggrin. Emailed my boss asking permission :p .

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Got an emergency call out today, when I got there I noticed the PC was working but they could not gain access to their network drives.

The PC Tower is:-
    QDI advance 6T mobo with 512MB SDRam and 1000 MHZ Cpu:rolleyes: It's a real pig for speed but they only use it for office work! It has a PCI realtrek 810 Family Ethnet card.

After checking the status in networkwork properties, I notice a yellow triangle has appeared with the words:- Limited or no connectivity.
    So using the command prompt I checked the IP address using IPconfig/all. Just as i suspected it's a dummy IP address 169.
    I type the following IPconfig/release and the IPconfig/renew.

But still can't get any response from the server.:blink Checking the lights are flicking on the NIC and they were!

I used a Pinger to check the line - all is ok! 100Mbps

Deciding to take it back to the IT dept and plug it in their to do some testing I notice the IP address is correct and obtains 128 ip address as i log into windows???:blink The network drives as displayed in my user profile?

So I take it back to the office and plug it in, no network is found in Windows, the girls in the office are not impressed with my skills!:(

So I change over the Cat5e cable for a spanking new one!
    Still no connectivity. Checking the port number I go to the Hub and check it's patched ok and yes - all is ok and good connection

So what could be wrong8)

I take it back to the office and connect it to the network and it doesn't work, Looking in the device manager in windows the network card is not displayed. No blinking Led on the back of the NIC. New card installed and works like a dream!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  18. Bambino1506

Nice troubleshooting UCM :D

Christ u got called out for 1 user not being able to logon, my place would of made them wait till Monday for sure :biggrin .

Couldn't they of used another users machine :blink ?

You get paid extra per callout ? or just a lump on call fee ?

19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

They probably could of used the other one on the desk...but I work in a Hospital and the computer that went down was in the Front office of the A & E in the Hospital. It doesn't shut and is 24/7.

:smilescol

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  20. Bambino1506

I see UCM, different industries call for different SLA's I guess :D

Anyway, good work on the fix fella :D :p reps given :p