What happens after 2TB...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gav, May 3, 2009.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I'm seeing more and more computers shipping with 500GB+ hard drives now, and I know that a few hard drive manufacturers are selling 2TB drives now.

The problem is that NTFS only supports partitions of 2TB. Whilst you could have multiple partitions, many people (like me) would much prefer to just have one.

So, looking ahead to the not so distant future, what are we going to do when 3TB drives start shipping? :blink

- Gav

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See here.

In Windows XP and the original release of Windows Server 2003, 2TB is the maximum size of a basic volume using MBR. However by using GPT (using Windows Server 2003 SP1, Windows XP x64 edition, and later) it can go up to 18 exabytes.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Beat me to it !

^^ what he said :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Ah, I see. The line in the book I'm currently reading said, and I quote 'NTFS supports volumes of up to 2 terabytes', hence the thread. :rolleyes:

5. Kitkatninja

I guess it depends on what OS the book was written around? What book are you reading?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

The 'Certification Passport' book for MCTS:Vista. I've noticed a few mistakes in the book so far. I'm only using it to revise the contents of the MSPress book anyway :)

7. Kitkatninja

Don't forget to check out Microsoft learning site for study materials on Vista (some you have to pay for, some are free) :)

-Ken