What fascinates you?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Okay, we've had what annoys you, and what you like... so how about what fascinates you? Anything you strongly desire to know more about, if only you had the time?

I have a few things that fascinate me, and I'm really not clever enough to even vaguely do them all justice. But they are fascinating, nevertheless :)

Languages - most peeps on here probably know I'm obsessed with language, but it's not just the English language - it's language in general. I especially love etymology. That probably stems from when I started learning Latin, alongside German and French. It's fascinating to track the derivation of a word, and see its similarities in languages borne in countries that are sometimes thousands of miles apart.

Physics - now I'm really not clever enough to grasp this, but I would love to be able to one day :oops: I keep revisiting a book called "Parallel Worlds" by Michio Kaku, and it's one of the few books I've ever had to read with a dictionary handy at all times. I have quite a few different books on quantum theory, as well as general science. One day...... :biggrin

People. I'm a 'watcher' - can't help it. If I'm ever in a public place on my own, I've got to sit in the seat with the biggest and best view, so I can watch the world and figure out how people 'work'. Body language especially fascinates me. My closest friends are bugged by it, because I can pick up on the tiniest things now by their bodily reactions which are, unfortunately for them, largely involuntary. For example, I have one friend who blushes ever so slightly when they lie. It also allows you to read people really well, so that you can pick up a lot on character even after a relatively brief conversation.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Apologetics and Prophecy
    Chemistry and Physics
    Science-fiction books and movies, particularly those dealing with time travel or super-hero powers.
    IT stuff - naturally!
    Games of all sorts
    Playing the piano - would love to learn more than just playing by ear!
    Travel

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

What a great thread, I like anything like this because apart from learning from others problems on this great forum I like the banter between like minded IT Professionals. Not just that, I feel I can share how I'm really doing on here, ultra stressed over exams for example. I'm a Team Leader in work so I don't show I'm worried about anything. Anyway . . . .

Astronomy fascinates me, and anything Space related. No one knows this but I'm a member of Liverpool Uni's Astronomy club and bought a 6 inch Newtonian Reflector, not that I've had much time for that this year.

Languages fascinate me. I've made a few attempts at Espanol and Italiano but like everything else in life, it takes time which aside from my career, family and studies I just don't have right now.

Oddly enough, my backup plan is to learn my languages and watch the stars when I retire ha ha If I haven't had time to do it before then. Fingers crossed I can earn enough out of IT to retire early :biggrin

James

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Insects.

I mean, I'm not a lover of them, spiders freak me out and I'll happily swat a fly or wasp.
    But they're just weird, aren't they?
    They don't have blood or lungs, but they live!

Oh, and don't tell me that spiders aren't insects - I know.

And Spartans.
    I watched 300 a couple of times recently, and since I've been doing a lot of reading into ancient Greece and Sparta. It's all fascinating.

All those butch blokes, all oiled up...

Er...

:oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Enigma101

Enigma101 Bit Poster

Making gadgets out of old stuff - at the moment i am making a wall hanging jukebox using an old tft that had the glass smashed, car amp some speakers and a thin client all mounted in swish alloy cabinet!

Love the streamlined 1930s art deco period and architecture, collect bits and bobs from this era.
    Circuit design and old Valve equipment...and yes the sound is much better, i restore valve radios (when i find time... not too often nowadays)

Certifications: 70-270 70-290
    WIP: MCSE
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

[pedant]Spiders are arachnids not insects[/pedant]

Palaeontology still fascinates me - has done since I was about five. One day I'll chuck IT in and go do what I was born to do - dig dinosaurs up out of the desert :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'm sorry but I can't stand insects! Love animals but insects just freak me out.

Beautiful women fascinate me, its definitely the way we are made!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Now that sounds like an awesome project :) my other half keeps harping on about the old valve radios. The closest I'll let him get to one at the moment is the Fatman iTube Valve Amplifier. Got any pics of your project?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well they should be.

And indeed, they are in my world.
    If it makes me scream like a girl and run around flapping my arms as if I'm trying to take off, then it's an insect.
    Only definition you need.

And if I get close enough to see how many legs or body parts it's got, then it's too late. :shocked

10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Pleae don't think I'm weird, but the psychology of serial killers. The way that their brains operate and how they are wired, the conditioning that is sometimes related to their outcomes, the total lack of empathy, all of that stuff. Just how a human can become so removed from what is deemed civilised society is facsinating to me.

Oh, and the history of World War 2, love reading up about that. Mostly because of the technological advances that were made but again also the mindsets and psychologies of the soldiers involved.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  11. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

What happens when you die...........sorry for being morbid!

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Zeb makes you scream like a girl and run around flapping your arms, and HE'S not an insect... :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

BOOBIES!!! Boobies fascinate me!

The way they hang, the fact that they come in various shapes and sizes, the movement, so majestic and mesmorising as they bounce up and down, the little button on the end that you can twiddle and play with like a radio knob or doorbell... ohhhh just sooooooo fascinating.....

hmmmm mmmmm starting to drool and ribble, sorry folks! QUICK NURSE! THE SCREENS!!!!

:twisted:

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  14. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like a cool project. I love the whole recycling, fix-up stuff. I think it rubbed off from my Dad who would never buy something he could make himself, from carpet rugs, to meat pies to coffee tables and bikes. My favorite bike when I was a kid was one he put together out of old bikes recycled from the tip. He built me a fishing rod the same way.

This blog here is pretty good, and demonstrates just how wasteful the western world can be sometimes.

What fascinates me? IT stuff for a start. Theology is a fascinating subject, along with philosophy. Also, Me and the little one have recently started Karate lessons, and the whole history, science, technique and philosophy of different martial arts have got me gripped.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah me too really. I find military technology and the advancements over the many years very interesting indeed. I can happly sit through endless documentaries about the various wars etc.. I certainly don't like the terrible concequences of war, but do find the study of them fascinating.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Same here.

I love watching documentaries about war, also things like Warship, Airforce Afghanistan, etc.

I find the whole aspect of service life facinating - the discipline, Uniforms, lifestyle.

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

ooo kay :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

What's also fascinating is some of the brilliant 'ideas' have been dreamed up and even carried out, the infamour 'bombs on bats' during world war 2, or the sticky hand grenade I think the Germans developed which was actually so sticky the person couldn't get it off their hands :eek:

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Same here.

I'm oddly drawn to the navy. :oops:

Warship was brilliant.
    You never see them doing any actual work, do you?

:biggrin

20. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Everything.

Seriously, I'm incredibly unfocussed when it comes to outside interests, music, art, science, photography, cinematography, psychology, sociology, politics, and a thousand other things. My collection of options for things I would do if I wasn't in IT is ridiculously huge, the problem is this means I tend to move on to the next thing before the last is finished.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10