What Elective exam...?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by HTF, May 22, 2010.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

My goal is MCSE but on the way I would like to achieve MCSA ;)

At the moment I have 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 and I'm wondering what elective exam to choose and I'm thing about the followings:

1. 70-351 Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2006, Configuring - I'm really interested in this one but the question is how long this technology will be on the market, is it worth to do it according to the others and its suitability. Does MS planing to release new version in the near future?

I think proxy/firewall server is very important and necessary almost in any environment?!

What about MS book, as far I know there is only the one for 2004 so should I use MS one or Microsoft ISA Server 2006 Unleashed which is recommended on this forum

2. 70-432 Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance

3. 70-236 Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

I also have A+ so I could do something like Network+, Server+, Security+ (btw. I'm planing to do 70-298 or 70-299 later on) to achieve this elective exam but I thing MS exams are more rewarding?!

To anticipate your questions my actual position is not relevant to any of the above and I'm doing this as a self-study ;)

Any suggestions welcome ;)

Last edited: May 22, 2010
    Certifications: A+
  2. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I think it's probably best to pick something you currently work with, have worked in or are interested in.

i'm in the same position. I have win7 already which can count as client or elective, but I think I should have a server exam rather than 2 client based ones.

imHo anything related to security is usually a safe bet

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Microsoft have already replaced it with Forefront TMG so I would think twice before going down that route.

In all honesty I would go with the Sec+, it's a decent Security related exam and because it's not vendor specific gives you a better idea of the big picture.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

why are the comptia exams like twice as much as others.

5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good advice SimonD and plus its a really interesting cert to study for, not to mention a bit of a break if you've been on the Microsoft path for a while.

Security+ does not count for double Tommee, its just one of the few certs Microsoft recognise as an elective from another certification body. MS also recognises A+ and N+ as 1 elective but only for an MCSA, not an MCSE.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I mean the money, it's like £200 for one cert wherer as cisco and MS ones are a lot lot cheaper.

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Could be for a few reasons:

1. Comptia cert's, provided you take/pass them before the end of the year, are for life. MS (new track) & Cisco exams aren't.

2. Revenue from MS/Cisco certs are just a small fraction of their income, while Comptia certs aren't.

3. Comptia certs can be applied to other (vendor) certifications.

4. Because they can charge that price, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

I'm doing MCSE 2003, and currently studying 70-350 for my elective. I was initially interested in doing 70-351, but after some investigation I found study materials for 70-351 lacking compared to 70-350. I don't think there is even an MS Press Kit study guide for 70-351. Hence that's why I'm doing 70-350 instead. ISA Server 2006 is not much different from ISA Server 2004 I think.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Unfortunately 70-350 is being retired this year so be quick.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This... mostly #2. CompTIA makes their money off of exam fees. Cisco and Microsoft make their money off of hardware and software.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

Thx for all advice. I think I sorted everything out in my mind;)
    I will go for the Security + exam so I will achieve MCSA and then I will do the upgrade for MCITP Enterprise administrator.
    Microsoft like also my company will no longer provide support for the W2K3 (from 1 of July) so I think there is no point to waste time/money especially that it's a self-study and a lot more certs to do;).

Do you think this CompTIA Security+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Second Edition book will be good?

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Do you have the experience to upgrade to the MCITP:EA certification? Whats your exposure to 2008 like?
    I have to say that whilst MS are stopping support for 2003 server there are still a lot of companies using it and I wouldn't be too hasty in writing off the 2003 certifications.

13. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Well, I will have MCSA anyway.
    We'll see, one thing is sure that I will do the Security + as a next one;)

Regards