What does your training provider provide?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by nugget, Nov 11, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I was wondering what those people going with a training provider are actually getting from their provider in terms of training, support, classroom time etc.

Someone has offered to pay the 16'000 for my MCSE training course and I am currently checking out the training providers here and what they offer. They all seem to be similar in that you attend class 1 night a week and 1 full Saturday every 3 weeks with the entire course from Jan to Nov.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

For my £2000, Scheidegger are supposed to offer:

*Tutor support by phone and e-mail (used it, very good service).
    *Training manual covering all aspects of the exam syllabus (was skeptical when I had the old training manual, but the new one put my mind at ease).
    *Interactive Training (on CD, it's alright but practical would be better).
    *Regular assignments (again, using a CD based app, nice assignments but my only gripe is that the software is hardcoded to save to a floppy, even if you want to submit it electronically).
    *Practical training (haven't had any yet! This is my major concern regarding the course at present).
    *Free retake

Gotta pay for the exams myself (but then that's to be expected).

So far I'm wishing I'd taught myself with a book or two and a used PC.

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+
  3. Billy

Billy Bit Poster

I'd tell you what I got for my money, hoever I think I might miss this one out.... :tune

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+ MCSA & CCNA
    WIP: MCSE
  4. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

Go on tell us!

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Fire away Billy, is it's worth sharing then post it. :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Billy

Billy Bit Poster

haha - I got great support, one-on-one time and additional study guides, but I'm not going into detail... No way!

Last time I shared my 2 pence worth on this forum I got flamed from all directions!

Once bitten, twice shy

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+ MCSA & CCNA
    WIP: MCSE
  7. r4merlin

r4merlin Nibble Poster

So far all I have seen is some out of date material. I will keep you posted on the rest when it comes.

8. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

After e-mailing them about this, it seems that the practical stuff comes after I've completed the theory.

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Surely the two would complement each other. You should be able to do the practical stuff as you're doing the theory. :dry

What about course lengths, amount of times that you go to class per week etc?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Were you told, or at any point advised, to have some form of home lab set up to do some practical work at home ?

I don't think any training provider should advise you other than to have some sort of practice machine/network to play with, rather than expect you to wait until you can manage to get to their place to get some hands-on experience.

IMHO :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

Well if I had the cash I'd pick up a second hand machine to play around with, but it's not an option right now.