What do you use your computer for?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bluerinse, Nov 10, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, to a large degree, the publisher sets the style of writing...at least in terms of format and to some degree "voice". Most books are part of a series (think "SAMS Teach Yourself This or That in 24 hours"). As such, the author has to write to a specific style and organization which he/she may or may not particularly be fond of. The interaction between the author and the myriad of editors can be pretty complex at times.

That being said, I'm embarking on a writing assignment that will allow my co-author and I to organize our content as we see fit, based on the premise that a really good book is better than conforming to a publisher-set style. Here's hoping...

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Absaloutely everything it can be used for :D

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

In no particular order other than how they come to mind.

1. Email
    2. Document Creation
    3. Research for all subjects other than IT
    4. Research for all subjects IT related
    5. VOIP--I make all long distance phone calls using Skype
    6. I use my lan as a test lab. I set up file, email, web, ftp, dhcp, dns, etc, servers. As an example, I set up egroupware on Apache as my last project.
    7. Play with/learn scripting languages
    8. Online banking
    9. Buy books, computer parts, etc....
    10. Surf IT sites such as this one
    11. Play a few computer games such as Boggle, Tetravex, Mahjongg.
    12. Read the news
    13. Read /.
    14. Work

edit: One thing I forgot to mention Use my lan as place to learn how to use security tools such as nessus, nmap, packet sniffers, etc... are used and how to interpret the results.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I wanted to add to this friday morning but I had to shoot off to swindon for the weekend for some work, I have generally always found a use for my system, and whilst I no longer run things like SETI during the down time, I still like to think its always busy doing one thing or another

My life revolves around the PC, both at home and at work, and as such it is almost a bit of an extension of me!

Ill try list everything a bit different than everyone else being this thread was about how we use the power of our PCs, my network consists of various PCs, a SAN and an ESX farm but i'm only really going to list what I use my production rig for :)

Low Utilisation
    Email
    Web Browsing
    Forum Watching
    Technical Research
    Instant Messaging
    Voice over IP
    Documentation

Med Utilisation
    DVD Playback
    AVI Playback
    MP3 Playback
    Downloads
    Project Management
    Computer Based Learning

High Utilisation
    Graphic Design
    High end Gaming
    Personal Development via Virtual Machines
    Project Sandbox via Virtual Machines

Insane Utilisation
    Digital Photography
    DVD Authoring

I'd have to say my digital photography workflow is probably the most heavy duty thing I do with a PC, it utilises to the max pretty much every component apart from the sound card! and using a cross between Lightroom and Photoshop CS2 I can easilly fill up my mem and hammer my CPU the entire time, one of the few things i do that can actually benefit from a SMP setup and eventually a 64 bit set up

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Flipside

Flipside Bit Poster

I have two I mainly use.

One I use for the internet, listening to music, DVD burning etc... This is my main one.

The other more powerful machine is reserved for music production. I only have what I really need on this one so everything runs quickly and reliably.

WIP: A+
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I only use my computer for the purpose for which it was intended.

Looking at pictures of nekked ladies.

Costing a little more than 500 times the price of Razzle, I can't help but feel that I've gone wrong somewhere.

And I can't hide the f***er under the mattress from the wife.

Tell you what - for a self proclaimed tech ignoramus, she sussed out history and cookies pretty damn fast...

In all honesty I hardly use my home machine now, as I'm so sick of staring at them in the office all day!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

hehe Jonny, that made me smile :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I should think looking at pictures of naked ladies would make any man smile Pete!:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah yes, naked ladies - what would the world be like without them, a pretty boring existance probably :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)