What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 5, 2008.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...but you'll never know what cut you may or may not have to take if you simply don't apply for jobs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have applied for a couple of jobs in Leeds which will mean a move and I have posted my CV on a couple of jobsites so if something does turn up I will likely take it. It seems so many jobs require experience even the jobs that are advertised as entry level. :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Couple things:

True entry-level jobs don't require experience. Those that do require experience aren't entry-level jobs. I know, I know, you've heard all that before.

Sure... they all might WANT experienced people... and they might even RECOMMEND experience... but REQUIRING experience is a different matter entirely.

Consider this: if you see what you believe is a true entry-level job, and they say they absolutely REQUIRE (not recommend) experience... how many experienced people do you know will "drop down" to an entry-level job? Few; most will want to advance after they get experience. Thus, if you're the best applicant from among those available... then you'll likely be the one they select... regardless of what they "require". :)

Just stuff to consider. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee

Cheers for the advice, I keep looking everyday so hopefully something will turn up soon.

5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Couple of things to chuck in or agree with :)

1) Apply for all jobs, close and further away. Interview experience is great, and by getting offered the job doesn't mean you need to take it.
    2) If jobs aren't too forthcoming, don't be too keen on getting cert'ed up - one or two shows your keen, too many and you may come across as some who has too many certs but no experience and that isn't necessarily always good.
    3) You know what its like with no money, now you're nearly sorted keep it that way - things may take longer to achieve, but think about it this way £350 (random figure) a month on debts one minute - come July, you'll have 4x£350 = £1400 - quite a decent sum to relocate with (me and the girlfriend relocated to London with £1500 so its definitely possible).

Overall, keep your head and you'll achieve that goal :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. greenbrucelee

Cheers, I think if I save well enough by July/August I'll have around 700 - 1k saved that'll definately be enough to move. I applied for a job the other day with full training with the chance to move into consultancy after a few years experience.

They offered full cert training and paid for exams, sounded good so I applied.

With moving away I don't want to get out of debt and then get back into it again straight away, as debt has ruined my life since I was 25 and its time it stopped if you see what I mean.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Your cert plan is achievable but you will have to put the work in. However having a collection of entry level certs on your CV will be worth all the studying. :biggrin

The whole entry level job thing is all over the place to be honest. I remember when I graduated I applied for many jobs that were advertised as ‘graduate level’ however they also wanted a years experience! WTF? I had been at uni for the past 6 years so how was I meant to have a years experience?

Although taking a pay cut is a bit of a downer you are probably best apply for any job that interests you and if a job offer is made *then* consider what you want to do. The biggest plus point is that you will be working in an industry that you want to work in and hopefully you will be able progress quickly so the paycut will just be a temporary thing. My wage has increased by £12k over the past 5 years so there isn’t any reason you cant do the same. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. greenbrucelee

Study & save thats the plan. I will still be applying for jobs so if one does come up then I will be able to take it. I got all my books today So hopefully the start of April is when I start the N+ 8)

9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

1) To build credit see if you can get a pre-paid credit card. I know they’re available here (and US). Where you load the card with funds and use those funds when paying via credit card. There is no risk to the bank/card company, and you re-build credit along the way.

2) If you want additional certs, you’ll know what you can and cannot get before looking over-certified. You’ve seen the posts :). Saying that, you really should apply. Worse case scenario - you get interview practice; best case scenario – you get the dream job. :p

Best of luck GBL

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

They are available in the UK as well. A tad expensive, but possible if nothing else is available.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Expensive? :rolleyes:
    I didn’t think there was a charge for this. The card company is still making money on the transaction charge off the merchant, and the financial institution is helping your credit turn around so they can add a credit value to the card in the future.

12. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I don't know about elsewhere, but in the UK there is a charge for each load on some cards. I'm not sure of the details as I don't use such cards.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  13. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

You've seem to have been doing well with your finances. Congratulations for your emergence from debt.

I am curious though. Are you really that unhappy with your present position? The job you have now has served you well financially. You have finally reached a point where instead of paying toward past obligations, you can now use the same money to save toward future goals.

I may have missed something, but reading some of your past posts, I know you work for a printer. Usually a decently paid profession. And you are already somewhat involved with the IT related operations. That should provide verifiable experience and the longer you're there, the more you have. Also, by proving your abilities in the workplace, you may even be able to transfer to IT at some point.

With what you have working for you now, I would never consider going into debt to find other work. Loans or credit cards either one. Stay away from both of them whenever possible. Give yourself a little time, keep a close eye on your budget, and save everything you can. The worst thing that can happen is you decide to stay put professionally and admire yourself for building an rock solid emergency fund.

Good Luck

14. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Sounds like you're refering to a debit card here in the states. If you use it right, they're not a bad thing. You use the card to access funds you already have in an existing account, but be careful. You still have to treat it like cash in your pocket. Try to spend more than you have and you'll get nailed with overdraft fees and penalties. And as far as the financial institution helping to turn your credit around, that's bunk. Believe me, the only thing they're interested in is their bottom line. Don't believe it?, listen to the news.

15. greenbrucelee

Although I am paid well and probably about 4.5k above what an entry level tech would get paid I really don't like my job and if given the chance once I have a bit of stability then I would leave. Actually the last 3 years I have been paid over 23k for each year due to overtime etc.

I have tried in the past but due to me correcting the IT director one time (can't remember what but it was to do with the firewall) I don't really think he likes me. So it may be until he forgets about that or I do something that impresses him.

Yep your right, after putting all my hard earned cash including overtime etc onto a debt which should have taken 11 years to pay, I have whittled it down to just under 6 years. I really do not want to get into debt again, I actually want some money behind me so I can plan for a future.

I think I am going to stick with my plan of getting the A+, N+ and maybe MCDST whilst saving as much as possible.

Cheers Bill the advice and comments are much appreciated.

I can't even get one of those at the minute.

16. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

I'm not sure your past credit would keep you from getting a debit card, providing they're even available in the UK. It's kind of like using a checking account, easier to carry but harder to keep track of. You might be well without one for a while.

Once again, you've done a great job with your finances. Keep your eye on the prize, good things will come of it.

17. greenbrucelee

Yep debit cards are based on your credit rating due to the fact in the UK you can use them to guarantee a cheque up to £100 with them it's also upto your bank on wether they deem it responsible of them to let you have one as you can go over drawn when using it.

I had mine taken of me by my bank when I got my CCJ and they will return it once my CCJ is gone and my account shows a satisfactory conduct.

I have an account review in about 6 months so they might return it then.

18. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

You seem to be doing fine without it. Cheers.

19. greenbrucelee

Thanks for what you have said Bill you have reaffirmed what I have been thinking of doing. I am going to save whilst studying so I have something behind me. Then when I have a little bit of a financial backbone then things may become clearer.

I have been in serious debt since just before my 26th Birthday I am now 31 I have missed out on a lot due to my own nievity and its about time I start making the money work for me, instead working for money that I never see.

And if it takes another 6 months or a year before I get my break in IT then so be it, I can study along the way.

Rep for you Bill

20. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Good advice in your last few posts in this thread BrotherBill.

Greenbrucelee, sounds like you have done well to get yourself to this point and clear the debts. Good work, keep it up, you will get where you want to be in IT, even if it takes a little longer than expected. Just keep studying, saving the ££s and applying for jobs, you obviously have the drive to push yourself forward, it will come good in the end.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation