What do you think of this for work...

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Just getting quotes on this for work (this includes 14 x 10k 300GB SAS HDD), it's a blade server and SAN in one. Not only that but we're also getting quotes on additional storage (the Promise VTrak E310s Storage System with 12 x 1TBGB Enterprise Class SATA HDD, or 12 x 500GB depending on price). Per module we're looking at 2 x Quad Core (2.66GHz) and 32GB of Ram. For virtualisation, we'll be using Windows 2008's Hyper-V.

We're looking at virtualising 14 servers, this is based on allocating each server, including the physical servers, 4 GB each.

Now on to my questions...

For those that already have virtualisation, what do you use for backups? Do you use a combination of tapes and NAS boxes? Is there a backup system you tried and it didn't suit?

Thanks

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ken

I use vranger from vizioncore. Provided you're going to go down the esx route its the only way to fly. It has its own little quirks (like everything else) but is reasonably cheap, and we back up every VM on our hosts (70-odd) in ten hours. Couple that with a 'regular' backup agent (we use backup exec) for things like sql and exchange db backups and snapshotting at the san level and you're laughing

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate, will look into that :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

We use Tivoli from IBM to back up our servers onto LTO2 tapes using IBM Auto Tape Libraries.

Do you have offsite storage? We use a 3rd party company called Iron Mountain who are decent. Come every day to pick up our tapes. We also use offsite disk mirroring for systems that can't be down for a short period of time. Not sure if thats any use to ya mate. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate, more options for me :)

-ken

6. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ah no probs mate. You can't beat a good bit continuity planning :D

Your boss (if you have one, I know your the main man in your place) will love distaster recovery plans and their fun to get into. You'd need a cold site I'd of thought. We do Disaster recovery tests for 1 week every year. Its like a paid holiday messing with backups :D

I'll give you my address for my invite to yours . . . . :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs