What do you search for when you apply for jobs?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Waria Ahmed, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Thought I'd start a thread helping people choose the right keywords to search for jobs. I generally use the terms "2nd line" and "engineer" and luckily I had a patch of 12 interviews in 6 weeks from it.

So what does everyone else search for?

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  2. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

12 Interviews and you're still looking......

I think we need a new thread called "What do you do when you get an interview" :p

WIP: None....at last!!
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

plenty of those, and thats not helpful.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Assuming you are looking for 2nd line as in desktop support, you should add:

desktop support, local support, local technician, desktop technician, Desktop Support Analyst, and any combination of those kind of things. Job titles are largely irrelevant, since any company can call it whatever they like - general dogsbody for instance.

Just keep looking, and expand your possible criteria, see what you can find. You will get lucky soon enough. And if theres a job thats just slightly above your experience level, apply anyway, you never know what might happen as a result.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

That's priceless..........:biggrin:D:biggrin

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  5. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

haha no, I got a job on my 12th one :)

Almost everyone here is studying the same thing as me, so I was wondering what type of job they are after. Thats all.

Way to make me feel like a idiot though lol.

WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  6. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

I'm sorry just couldn't resist.

Anyway I best reply to the topic at hand. Me personally, I also go for the "X line" or/and the following:

"MCSE" (Shows jobs that are support related rather than all the DBA's etc)
    "VMWARE" (For me personally)
    "Infrastructure" (Always a good one and seems to show the jobs I'm interested in)

WIP: None....at last!!
  7. pmidds

pmidds Bit Poster

I just tend to search for all IT jobs in my location + 50 miles. You obviously get a lot of hits that would never be of any use, but you will sometimes find a job that otherwise may not have been included in your usual searches.

Certifications: MCP 70-210; 70-290; ITIL Foundation v.3
    WIP: MCSE? or CCNA?
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Why not just search by IT and look threw all the jobs on the website within a 25 mile radius. This way you don't miss any. Once you have done this just look for new jobs in the last x days.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5