What do you prefer.. Permanent or contract?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Waria Ahmed, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

lol why?

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I thought you was Zeb for a minute there

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

kerrching

The dumb thing is, I was offered a 3 month contract at computacenter. I should have taken it as they could have taken me on if I proved a competent IT analyst. And even if I didn't level up to there standards I could have finished the contract and the experience with me and returned to my old job.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

eh? :D

BT: Friend of mine had a job at computacenter once, i think - started on a 6 month contract.

Once you get experience behind you in contracting, and as long as there are jobs available when you need to move - recruitment agency's will snap you up as quick as they can.

I get on really well with my consultant at the agency, and am connected with him on linkedin - i was surprised at how many contacts you can get through that, i was due to finish a role, and updated my status on linked in and said "My contract is ending in 4 weeks, will be looking for a new role" - within 2 weeks i had been offered a position through there, with several other offers for an interview. Finished my old job on a friday, started the new one monday :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I like doing contract work on the side sometimes... I do however prefer to have a full time permanent job where I can have more flexibility with my employer and a bit more security. Thing is, everyone is replaceable so it does not really matter if it's a temp of permanent job. I've always looked at it this way, if I do decide to go contract, I should have lots of connections where I can turn to for when I need work.. Same goes for a permanent position, you always want to have contacts in case things don't work out.

I personally get lots of inquiries regarding contract work, anywhere from SCCM, AD, Exchange, VMware, etc and so on. I was thinking about contracting in the past but I think that if you can find a job with the least amount of stress and you're happy with what you're doing then go for it, regardless if its a temp or permanent.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

the point is that an employee won't be efficient and have proper knowledge about company etc to do his work properly on the beginning, needs training and it costs. so why employing somebody who changes jobs like gloves? why investing in somebody that will run away after short period? (you loose money, employee gives you no profit and you need to employ another one and train him again) 10 or more places in young person's cv say that he can't stay anywhere longer (and or he gets bored fast and quits the job, or he's been sucked because can't work properly), that's why I wouldn't hire person with "rich" history (except people working on contracts, or hi skill people who've been jumping on higher positions job after job)

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  7. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Don't really mind either, have done both and both have been good to me career wise and financially.

I took my current perm role after being a contractor here for 3 months, was a government job that paid well so thought best of both worlds.

A few years on and thanks to Mr Cameron the place is being closed so I'm off, with a nice redundancy package and a number of options as to where to go next :)

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm like Zeb
    although after 14 years in IT I have had 12 permenant jobs, and god knows how many more contract ones

this is not the 70s, you will not stay at the same place till you retire, you WILL be let go at some point
    I present on this very subject to college aged students about the current market and how the world works

if it is in a corporations best interest to get rid of you, they will, and often this is as short sighted as financial best interest, ignoring the fact that a new guy will not know anything about in house systems and procedures, but none the less it happens
    do not feel obliged to give them some undue loyalty, they pay you for your work, and you work for some pay, this can be replicated for any other company, be it permanent or contract
    I would not be as employable, in the positions I am, at my age, if I had worked at one place my whole life
    diversity in IT is king, it grows our exposure, it grows our understanding and it gives us a better platform to sell ourselves to the next company that wants us

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I'd have to agree with this. I think that those who are consultants whether it be for them selves or another company, those individuals always tend to have a lot more exposure because they've worked for many different companies where as a tech who only worked for 2 or 3 companies in the last 12 years does not posses the experience of a consultant. That is not to say that he cannot do the same job, it just means that they are less exposed as each company does things differently regardless if they use the same technology or not.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Don't confuse consultant with contractor either
    there are lots of consultants that don't know squat :)

consultant doesnt mean changing jobs a lot, it DOES usually mean a bit more exposure to different clients, but generally only on the tech they specialize in
    so not every Consultant is that well rounded
    in fact, some simply suck

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Wish you had not said that now phoenix I'm really thinking about it now, would any contractors be able to pm me if they are happy to chat over a few details?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing