What do you guys make of this

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by laup, Apr 17, 2007.

1. archie

archie Bit Poster

I agree!!!! :biggrin

God, I hate buzzwords. I have a friend who works in the Banking industry. We chat on the phone a couple of times a week and we always spend 5 minutes talking about the latest buzzwords in use within our respective organisations.

The latest include :

'department footprint' (taken from 'carbon footprint')
    'keeping things on you radar' (he works in a bank not on a submarine!!!)

The best yet, is when someone comes up with a bad idea it's known as an 'ouch', whilst a good idea is now a 'wow'.

Certifications: MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: Lets decide tomorrow...
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Right - new thread for this cos I don't want to hijack Paul's!

Business Buzzword Chain Madness in the 'Off Topic' forum...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. laup

laup Byte Poster

Lol! cheers guys for your total mixture of opinions. I will take them into account, ill have to let ya all know how it went next week :biggrin

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  4. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

I like your straight to the point approach zebulebu :D :D :D :D

5. Feellex

Feellex Bit Poster

Fair enough. I'm obviously in a minority of one. Not for the first time I hasten to add! :)

Certifications: None....yet!
    WIP: Still planning
  6. nickit

nickit New Member

You dont have anything to lose from meeting the guy (apart from an hour of your time) and you could gain so much so my vote says go see the man!!

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  7. laup

laup Byte Poster

Well this informal talk turned out to be an interview for a position that became availible today
    Level 2 Technical Analyst.
    The MD had givin me two papers .

Disirable Qualifications
    MSCE/MCSA/MCP
    CCNA,CCNP,CCVP
    Itil FOundation
    Itil Pract.

Technical Competency.
    Windows 200/2k3 - Int -> Advance
    Exchange - Int -> Advance
    Sql Server - Int -> Advance
    IIS Admin - Int -> Advance
    98/xp/200 - Advance
    Office 97 xp / 2003 - Advance
    linux - Intermediate
    MacOSx - Intermediate
    Symantec Backup - Intermediate
    Sophos Business Solutions - Int -> Advance
    Cisco IOS software - Int -> Advance
    Cisco CallManager - Int -> Advance
    Citrix Metaframe Int -> Advance
    TCP/IP LAN/WAN/MAN, SNMP Int -> Advance
    All Aspects on windows net management. Int -> Advance

Basicly he was impressed with my CV we discussed about lack of experience. I added im supreme at learning fast.
    I offered to do say 2 weeks work there for nothing to see if i was up to it like.

The MD has left it to me to get in contact with him. So i dunno if hes waiting for me to tell him wether id be up to it or not.
    He just said read through the job discription and resposibilitys and get back to me.

He also asked me if i would be prepared to sway away from the cisco route and i said id specificly wanted to do that.

So does this basicly mean im on for the job if i say yeah i can do it?

I admit i cant cover everything in the comptency part but a majority of it.

what u guys reckon. could this be too much for first timer?

Seems asthough they need a jack of all trades ere.

8. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Hmm ....the competency list looks like it is for someone in their late 20's or ealy 30's that is an absolute gun and well experienced.

- note that the SQL, Exchange and Citrix levels are not far on senior systems administrator levels!

Good luck with it all....if you get this role you will have to absolutely get your skates on big time!

The thing to remember is that if you dont know then say so...if you BS you will come unstuck real fast...

Finally is there an older or more experienced tech you can work with at this place? - this is one of the best ways to get going!

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  9. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

I doubt there are many that can meet all the qualifications that they posted.

But I say go for it!!!!!!!! He obviously liked you to basically offer you the job on the spot it seems!

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well done laup:biggrin

If you hadn't gone for this informal chat you wouldn't of learn't something from it.

There's some good advice on this thread and I am glad to see you took it onboard and acted on it!:biggrin

The fact that you have offered your services to the company free shows you are committed to the job. I think the MD knew all along that there was a job in the pipeline. But didn't want to go through H.R.

It is the same where I work, most of the guys said they got their job through word of mouth and not from job adverts or job agencies.

I hope a job does come out of this, but if it doesn't at least you will have a bit work experience behind you or maybe a foot through the door.

I started with working for a IT Dept on a two week voluntary Basis.
    After having a friendly chat with a IT manager on the phone regarding IT industry, I droppped the question in can I do some voluntary work.
    At the end of my two weeks I was offered a temporary contract and then after 3 months a permanent position.:biggrin

So you see you never really know what's round the corner, but if you keep an open mind and positive attitude and do your best, then you will always get something out of it.
    Don't think of it as a job but work experience.

Good Luck8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Glad you attended the interview and I also wish you well.:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed. Those intermediate-to-advanced competency levels are awfully high. Are you sure he knows you don't have any real-world experience with any of those technologies? You could be getting in over your head. Like Supa suggested, if you don't know how to do something, be sure to say so up front.

If you're comfortable with taking on the challenge, I wish you the best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. laup

laup Byte Poster

I told him i wont BS him on what i dont think im capable of, i think him giving me the sheet. was for me to then read through and then basicly tell him what i can and cant do.

The situation with the company is there 3 guys covering service levels 1/2/3, now one of them will be going on to project management. His place needs to be filled.

So in hand there will be some more experienced guys ill be working with in the team.

He spoke about my cisco certs and mentioned about voip alot. i guess i could sweet talk him, by sayin im prepared to take the cvoice route :biggrin

But as 2 of u said could i be goin in over my head ere, everyone else has said just go for it, but they have no clue about IT Industry lol

14. BosonMichael

I hate to stress you out, but I have to give you the cold truth, ya know? Otherwise, I'd not be providing you sound advice.

I've seen plenty of people get in over their head and they were back out looking for a job in a month or two. Worse yet, they either end up with a short employment record on the CV that looks absolutely horrible (especially when future employers ask why you were only there for 2 months), or they have to leave it off their CV entirely because it looks so bad.

Then there are those who get in over their head and they don't get fired, but they end up being stressed out and miserable over their job because they're constantly having to work late to stay on top of things they should already know at that career level. To illustrate what I'm meaning, it'd be like taking Calculus before you've taken Trigonometry, and while your teacher is throwing Calc at you, you're furiously trying to bone up on Trig in order to figure out what the heck the teacher is trying to say. That's horribly stressful.

That said, you might be the exception to the rule and take to it like a duck to water. But I must warn you that the job that I saw described is NOT an entry-level job... and the real-world is FAR different than what you might have seen in a home lab or in books.

You know I already wish you the best of luck in your career, and I pray that God will grant you wisdom in your decision.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. laup

laup Byte Poster

I know you do micheal this does seem quite high, but this employer seems quite keen in my eyes, he has now invited me to a "job shadow execise" on monday afternoon.

I take it this will envolve me being someones shadow lol.

I guess im getting that one inch closer :biggrin

But i will tell him if it seems a little too much for me come monday.

16. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Goodluck, mate. Hope it goes well.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  17. laup

laup Byte Poster

Ahh unfortuantely didnt get the job they after more experienced guy i guess :rolleyes:

Pitty though the job was a bit of piss really.

"Hi Paul

Many thanks for your time over the past week.

Post our internal discussions / deliberations – I am disappointed to inform you that we feel our immediate needs are best suited with a more experienced IT professional and subsequently therefore have no current vacancies for you.

Please be aware that this decision wasn’t taken lightly and under different business conditions I am confident you could have added value to our team… who knows, our paths may cross at some point in the future!

In the meantime, I wish you every success in your job-searching and resulting 1st commercial role in IT. I am confident that with your focus and driven goal mind-set – you will achieve your goal of becoming a Cisco qualified IT Consultant.

Best Regards,"

18. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

hard luck pal - get back on that horse and you will be fine before you know it...

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  19. BosonMichael

He's right - IT's a small world. I've worked with the same group of people for two different employers... I've worked with another group of people for two different employers... and yet another group of people for THREE different employers. After a while, it seems that everyone knows everyone else in IT... so you very well COULD be working with him at some point in the future.

Keep your head up, get that entry-level job, and start building that experience. You'll get there.