What do you do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Donnylad

Donnylad Banned

Admin Edit(J): Repeat content - removed

Certifications: A+ MCSA ITIL Prince2
    WIP: MSc in Management
  2. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Sorry, been a while since my last post...
    I started at 17 with a part time job with a IBM reseller (bloody hate IBM Post error codes) then managed a bar for a year (dangerous for an 18 year old) then did PC builds then quality control then technial manger for production! all within a year. Got a job at the local University doing first line support, then second line, then got a few projects and a promotion. Now I am project manager for a digital learning network, am a trusted technical advisor of a software company and normally if I say "it will not work like this" people will ask "how can we make it work?"
    Which is all rather cool.
    I decided to get cert'd afer a job I went for was won by a bloke with a MCSA, since then I have gained A MCSA and put it into pratice in the work place.
    Jam.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Update for me: I forgot to mention this before.

I actually should have said that I did all my studying with a well known trainer, at the time I was just stacking shelves etc... but as soon as I finished the training, I landed an IT Job the day after. Now I have been there 6 months, the boss has decided to jack it in and gave me the keys to his new Porche. His 21 year old wife has left him for me as well, and I'm on 100k a year now. Cool!!

*cough* :)

edit: Obviously this was to poke a little fun at someone who had now been banned so for any who actually think I have gone nuts, ignore this one please. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Almost sounds to good to be true modey :cheeseyg

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I did cough, that bit's true. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

so now we're telling our life stories? ok here's mine:

25 years old. Born in Nigeria, moved to London when I was 2, 3 years later went back to Nigeria for a year. Stayed in London with my family till I was 20. Moved to Newcastle, 3 years there then I went to Aberdeen (to live with my then fiancee). A year later moved back to Newcastle. During the last 8 years...I have been learning about PCs (what got me started was reading Persoanl Computer World) and just went on from there. I did go to college for a few months to learn more about networking and that really helped. went to Uni (which I didnt want to do) for only 6 months cos programming was boring and not my thing. altho I retook my GCSEs twice (my parents forced me) all I ever wanted to do was computers and learn about them. spent another 2 years in college doing BTEC engineering courses (i know i know weird!!)...since then I have built a few systems for people and for myself and so far not had many problems to deal with...currently working for Apple Mac (which I think is a total farce and could be the worst company to work for!!) also I build and fix PCs for people and my friends...which is good for them and for me as keeps me busy and my mind occupied...looking for another job in the IT sector as I am starting to get sick and tired of working call centres (but its all I can do for now!!) so thats me so far...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

Ok, my turn.
    I'm 37, married with one daughter.

Just clocked up my 18th year working for a UK bank. All 18 years working shifts, originally 8 hours but now on a 12 hour pattern.
    Started off putting tapes up & puttting paper on printers then moved up to looking after the mainframes.

Nearly got outsourced to IBM a couple of years ago which made me consider a plan B if I lost my job. I've always tinkered with PCs and found this site so started looking at getting my A+ and setting up a PC support business. Then my job got a little more secure so didn't follow it through.

Still looking at getting my A+ - maybe next year :)

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  8. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Love the badger!

Ok I will have a go at my life story then!

Twas 26 years ago (until Friday this week!) that my mother allowed me into this world, think she regrets this everyday of her life. After school went to college to do my GNVQ IT as I had no idea what else to do as I got 'removed' from my young career as a footballer with Oldham youth team. Dads a programmer and said "IT is the way forward young Rostron" so off I went. Went to Manchester Met to study IT in society but got bored of learning how a PC would affect a camel so went working full time at McDonalds (no jokes please). Honestly, best job of my life for meeting people and having a laugh. After 3 years of burger flipping went into a junior installation role for an EPOS company called Riva. Learnt my basics in networking and got a taste for it. Moved from there into my current job as an ICT Technician.

Looking to educate myself now and gain certs, hence why I am here.

No wife, no kids just a lot of debt from lads holidays! :D

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police