What do you do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hey, Happy Birthday Nelix!!! you gonna have cake and party poppers? :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

And lot and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of
    LAGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drunk

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NELIX!!!! :bdaysmile

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Beer, Beer want more Beer, get the f........ :( doh! I'm at work party time on hold.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry about the "sticky" thing. It's new to me. Had a birthday party here, too yesterday. No beer or lager available since all the birthday people were underage. My two sons (twins) turned 17 and my daughter turned 15. Actually, yesterday wasn't their official birthdays but, the fam was busy on those days and we didn't have the time to do a party up right. Yesterday, we were decended upon by teenagers...including high school band members. Fortunately, they left the place in one piece.

To add insult to injury, after the party, we went out and purchased a cheap junker for my sons, since they're in the process of taking driving lessons and are a heartbeat away from getting drivers licenses. :eek:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Happy Birthdays all round, then :P

Hey Nelix - they're scary photos - is that what inspired your new sig ??? :lol:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

You must forgive the way i look, as mentioned earlier i was pi**ed out of my head.

Walked up to mr blair and said

"scusse me t hony, kan i ave a pikchure" (try saying it whilst slurring your words).

Dont think he was too impressed, but what the hell he's only the P.M.

As for the Sig, going to try and change it about once a week, so keep watching

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You look ok, Nelix...however Blair looks kind of hung over. :wink:

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

It's strange cause he looks so different in real life to how he looks on the T.V., I must admit though, he did look awfully stressed!!!.

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

So would I if I had his job.

11. Mark

Mark Bit Poster

Here goes

Well I'm 38 tomorrow (21st), married with 3 kids and like AndyL was, working in the copier industry as a senior service technician. Been doing that since I left school 22 years ago. The last 5 years has seen a massive shift in the industry that now it is virtually on the fringe of the IT industry. All new copiers that I work on are digital and can be configured as network copiers, I work on colour and black & white machines. Being as I owned a computer of some kind since 1984 I had sort of grown up with the technology and found it easy to pick up. So for the last 5 years or so I've had a laptop at work and been working with networks, picked up what knowledge I could to reinforce the knowledge I had already. Like most people though you need the piece paper, so I enrolled on a course with NITLC. I now have A+ under my belt which wasn't too bad as it was just putting flesh on the bones of what I already knew. Studying 70-210 now and finding it harder to get motivated, especially as my workshop isn't until 25 Aug, so started to read N+ book as well as 70-210.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA+M, MCSE:2000
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hi Mark,

Everyone else will join me in saying you're more than welcome in here...

Use the place to help yourself, and help others at the same time.

All we ask is you offer as much as you gain ... :P

13. Kelly

Kelly Nibble Poster

So I guess it's my turn!...Where to start! :eek:
    Since the age of 12 all I wanted to do was (ahem) be a pop star! So I started up a girl group with my best friend Claire and we got quite far. After numerous band line ups, we ended up in Darlington (originally from Middlesbrough) playing guitar in a 3 girl band with Claire the bass player/lead singer, and Sarah the drummer. Released two singles and toured UK and Ireland. Got on TV a few times and lots of newspaper articles but by the time I was 26 I'd had enough. Was making no money at all and was sick of getting hassled from the dole so I left. :(
    Kind of woke up the next day with no clue who I was. I hadn't done that well at school and was kicked out of college for nicking off (had the mentality that I needed no qualifications for what I was gonna be!....Hey, at least I believed in myself!)

So I was forced to stop and take a look around. :roll: Knew I liked computers due to messing with band photos etc so decided that would be the best route for me to take.
    My mam found the NITLC add in the local rag and, as they say, the rest is history.

Doing the Internet course cos I'm more creative than mathmatical and pretty scared! Been doing it for a few months. probably since April/May time. Not too sure. There's been plenty of alcohol in between! :drunk

Work as a stocktaker to pay the rent. Live with my boyfriend, Richard, and our two cats. No kids yet. In the process of buying our first house. Ooh, and I'm 27. left the band almost a year ago. (aug 31st) So I suppose I'm lucky that it didn't take me too long to get my act together.!

Phew....that wasn't so hard afterall. :lol:

Certifications: none
    WIP: none
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

15. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Well guess its my turn now i have read all your stories, i think i may be the baby of the group at 20? :oops:

Well i left sixth form with 11 GCSE's and 3 A Levels. Hated school so decided i didnt want to go to Uni. All my friends left for Uni's but still i really didnt want to go!

So i didnt....Got a job with a Cruise Travel agent and started in sales......utterly hated it. A job came up in Marketing which i jumped at and now we have split the department into general marketing and Internet marketing. I work on my own on the internet marketing. I also run a little novel network with about 15 users, so a bit of a jack of all trades really! Have always preffered networking and systems engineering so i decided to go for it on the NITLC course.

Hope this will either move me up in the current company or get me outta here!

Anyway my life is that at the minute, not too much too tell im afriad. Have played the sax for 7 years but apart from that my life is quite plain!

NEXT PLEASE...... (You dont have a lot to beat)

WIP: CIW Master Designer
  16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well, Rob - check out the "Musical Background" thread - around here somewhere - I knew my "saxophone" comment would come back to haunt me !!! :P

17. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Perhaps you musically inclined guys should for a band? Perhaps we could have a bit of fun with a name for the band?

How about the Armadillo Scales?

I'll get me coat!!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

:P Like it, Luton - you could be on to something ... :P

19. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Hola all, where to start ? Well I left school and did a year in college studying fishfarm management (dull) and decided not to carry on or eat farmed salmon again !

Went on to do forestry fencing, fishing, driving dumptrucks, windsurfing/kayaking/sailing instructor, commercial diving,mink trapping, hedgehog trapping (was in the news earlier this year),and a whole bunch of other odd jobs. Next January i am off to Antartica to drive a power boat ferrying people from a cruise ship to the ice for two months (cant wait). At the moment i am painting rock crushing plant in a quarry (beer coupons).

Anyway, somewhere between trapping and a bit of travelling I decided to do something that might get me a "proper" job, so I chose IT. I am heading of to Glasgow in a couple of weeks to look for work , will see how that goes.

P.S. I was a trapper catching mink and hedgehogs for conservational reasons, not to make fur coats and....hair brushes.

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  20. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Angus

We appear to have somethings in common as i have done my fair share of windsurfing, kayaking, rock climbing infact i have my 1, 2 & 3 star awards, also have my climbing wall supervisor cert, however it's been expired for a good few years now.

I've also done my fair share of spray painting as I am a fully qualified spray painter.