what do u make of this?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by alexdc12, Feb 18, 2011.

1. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Alex,

Thank you for your email. I am impressed with your approach.

We are however looking to fulfill this role locally as we are in a difficult to reach area and transport links are not great. As this is an office based job with strict working times I feel that you may be a little too far away to be able to get here consistently on time.

Thank you for your interest and I wish you the best of luck in finding future employment.

Kind regards

Larie.

Director.

Is this a polite no or you think its a genuine issue? i dont think the travel will be a problem.

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

It's a polite no to be honest, although the reason may be genuine. You could always attempt to argue your case, but it sounds like they have made a decision.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

To be honest I think it's a bit of both. But the issue might as well be genuine.

Responsible recruiter might take all that into account. How far away do you actually live?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Do you drive or would you be really on infrequent public transport.

They may of or currently still do have someone that lives in your area and finds it difficult to make it to work.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

i can drive or use the public transport! i live in harlow, essex and its near southall middlesex, its not the best drive agreed but id do it!
    I did argue my case upon receipt of that but havent heard back as of yet will keep u posted!
    Had another call today from a recruitment agency looking for someone in a helpdesk, i thought it was going well until he said u dont sound to live or eager, he was asking me questions i was answering them in detail! but he said he would pass my cv on to the person responsible and they would call me so fingers crossed!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Being able to be somewhere on time is important to some employers... particularly for jobs that require shift work, where if you're late, the previous shift has to wait on you or, worse, the position is unstaffed for a period of time.

I live about 40 miles away from my work. Without traffic, I can be to work in a little more than a half-hour. But in the mornings, the commute can be anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour-and-a-half or more. That's quite a range of time, and unfortunately, I can't control whether there's gonna be an accident that brings the highways to a standstill. Fortunately, the nature of my work allows me to arrive at flexible times - as long as the job gets done and I put in my hours, it's all good. But if my boss required me to be here at 8am, I'd struggle to hit the mark exactly, either arriving late or coming in incredibly early... and that's due to the commute. An employer who requires employees to arrive at a particular time would be right to take that factor into consideration when hiring me.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is... the willingness on your part may not be a factor... the fact that you have no control over traffic might be the factor.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with BM.

In my other job I work shifts and when I work the Night shift (which monday day, tues, wed, thurs night). I am required to be in work for 6am on Monday morning. There is no one else in the building at that time but I am required to get out our first job of the day which prints at 7:10am. Even though at that time in the morning I could get to work in about 20 minutes I cannot risk it so I usually set off 40 minutes early.

There would be hell on if I was late and the job was late because I was.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

im always early! but i see your points.
    thanks

9. BosonMichael

You might very well be. But they don't know you as well as you know you. :) To them, the distance poses a risk. You may believe the distance to not be a problem, and you can indeed try to sell that to the employer. You might convince them... you might not.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I disagree with distance as if you apply for a job knowing full well the distance then it's your responsibility to get your backside in on time otherwise you get sacked.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Trust me - you wouldn't last because of the commute. I live in Croydon and worked in Southall for five months - the commute made it the most miserable job I've ever had. Public transport from Harlow to Southall would take you at least 2 and a half hours each way, and a car commute would be brutal as it would inevitably involve the M25 (and mean at least twice a week you'd be in your car for 3 hours during the inevitable breakdownaccident).

Seriously - get a job closer to home - or at least in the City

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

public transport reckoned 1r 28mins if i remember rightly, aint heard anything back so im guessing they dont wany my skills! lol

13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - yeah, if I run my journey to Southall on TFL's journey planner it says 1hr 32mins. I tell you now that it never - NEVER - took me less than 2 hours when I did it. Which is why I used to drive instead (which had its own problems)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. BosonMichael

Agreed. But the company doesn't want to risk hiring someone with the full knowledge that they might have to sack him due to distance... leaving them to find, hire, and train someone all over again. Less risk for them to hire someone closer.

I'm not saying they shouldn't hire him... I'm simply saying that it's a risk the employer must decide whether they want to take or not.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  15. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like they have previous

I know exactly how you are feeling at the moment as ive had similar luck in the past, but in the long run something closer to home will crop up, and getting a good job close to home (No horrendous commute! = more time at home) is a brilliant feeling

Keep your chin up, sounds like you are heading in the right direction, just need to wait for that perfect opportunity.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal