What Do I Need To Work In Schools ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by paulwilko, Jan 12, 2010.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

For a lot of the Junior Schools they may be using RM's CC3/4 network, link for Training so I would suggest if that is in your plan to brush up on that.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. paulwilko

paulwilko Bit Poster

Thank you all so much for your responses.

Just to confirm on a couple of points.

The original plan is to start small, like Junior Schools as they seem like they dont have any support other than the odd bit of inhouse knowledge.
    E.G Went to a school yesterday to help with a Smartboard and the head said, everytime soemone says their laptop does not work she just nods her head and walks away hoping it sorts itself out !!

I am not looking to work for a school, it will be with the company i am with now.

I work for a company that, sells IT equipment and also is an Installer for Network systems.
    So I have alot of the bases covered, so adds, moves and changes are easy, general network maintenace should be easy enough, but its when it starts going a bit pete tong is when my lack of experience will prob let me down, hence why i ask what i need to persue this.

The idea of small companies is a good one as people like small solicitors and others like it could maybe do with a service that we could provide.

Its all pretty much in the thinking stage at the moment, but am very greatful of your responses, keep them coming if you have anything to add

Cheers

Paul

3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I think ITIL V3 would be a good idea, as if your providing a service to schools like you intend too, you want to know about the basics of IT Service Provision. By all means, go for it. It's pretty similar at a school to what it is like for a mid size business, the chances of it going pete tong are exactly the same as a normal company.

Have you been CRB checked? if not you have to be accompanied for the entire time you are there which makes things a pain in the ass.

Go for it, there really isn't much sway in what you need to know. However, expect invoice problems as schools are notorious for not paying their bloody bills!!! until you pester them too.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. paulwilko

paulwilko Bit Poster

Thx

I already know how poor some schools are to deal with, they are a complete pain in the ****
    But if they give you an order, then at least you know they have the money and will get it sooner or later :D