1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What direction

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by gulbash, Feb 21, 2013.

1. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

Hi everyone. I need some advice as to what certs, diploma or degree i should pursue. I have comptia A+, network +, microsoft 70-680, 70-640. I was planning to continue pursueing the mcitp 70-642, 70-643, 70-647, but i notice these exam are going to expire in 2014, and the value will decline. What should be my next move? Experience, i have worked in companies doing pc repairs, laptop, desktop, hardware, software issues etc. Was thinking about a degree, maybe bsc in computer science. Alot of companies are looking for people with degrees in my country. Advice will be thankfully welcomed, thanks.

Certifications: A+, Network +, 70-680, 70-640, 70-642
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

most certs to an extent will expire whether its due to a date or the product is no longer sold/used. there will be many companies that will still use server 2008. there are loads of companies that are still using server 2003 now. when learning about each OS i find there are skills/knowledge that you can transfer to the newer versions. you don't lose everything when they expire. still worth putting them on your cv.

personally i always say if you can afford the time and money to do a degree then its worth it. still work toward certs when you can but getting real world experience is vital.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

Its my understanding that the mcitp are going to be just mcsa in the future not actually expire.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  4. gulbash

gulbash Nibble Poster

Thanks for the replies thus far. Well that is good news that it maybe not be actually expired. I will take the advice an continue the MCITP, i don't like to start something an not complete it. 2 exams down, 3 to go, will try to finish up that this year. Companies in my country require that i have a degree for a good paying salary, after i complete the MCITP, which degree program would you recommend seeing that i have comptia an microsoft, which one should i move on to with the qualifications i have? Most companies over here look for bsc computer science degree, information technology degree and information communication technology. Which one would best suit me? Thanks.

Certifications: A+, Network +, 70-680, 70-640, 70-642