What did Service Pack 2 do to USB 2 Support?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boycie, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Anything? Because I have just resolved a problem on a system that never had a problem with USB devices by fitting a Belkin powered hub.

Something similar happened on another machine that brought up a *USB Root Surge* a day after SP2 was installed. None of the hardware changed and I tried everything I could find on MS about it. In the end, a Belkin Hub put it to rest.

This machine is up to date with patches, is running the latest BIOS firmware and shows no issues in Device manager yet doesn't like anything plugged in the back of the board. :blink

I have followed the advice from MS here.

Anyone else had this?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you think the ports are fried or it could be a software\driver issue?

You could uninstall SP2 and then test the USB ports after that. Possibly an extreme measure but its always good to find a fix for these problems! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Could possibly be a power supply issue, and adding the powered hub took the strain off the PSU

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

The suggestions you both made are possibilities but it has cropped up on three seperate machines - all that were working perfectly until SP2.

It is exactly as the MS article describes - it seems to *Roll back* your USB root drivers. Although most of the mobo manufacturers supply drivers for literally everything, for the latest victim, it doesn't. I assume because even the earliest flavour of XP has these originally.

After some serious Googling I came across some other people who said it had happened to their machines too. :blink

Luckily it hasn't affected my laptop or desktop, but I would love to find an answer and if I do will post back.

For now, the powered hubs are doing the job nicely. :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT