What cloud storage do you use and do you worry about the security of it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I use Google Drive, cant say I'm that concerned about security tbh as I dont have anything that important on it, mainly revision notes and a few documents.

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I use OneDrive for Business, I only put documentation and notes that I access frequently... At some point I was thinking of backing up all my data to the cloud by using a company like CrashPlan or Amazon's Glacier service. Still up for debate on that one!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Interestingly I know of one of the very large IT companies who are starting to rollout crashplan to their users, would hope they've done their due diligence on the solution.
    Although not sure how they are using it, can it be used to backup to a non crashplan cloud?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have Dropbox and OneDrive, I don't keep anything on there that I can't afford to lose, instead I back it up at home to multiple locations and devices.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

one drive, google drive, copy and dropbox

main one is onedrive the rest just hold various things i like to have 3rd copy of

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Dropbox and Google drive but similar to others, nothing of anything significance so don't think too much on security. I think I'm quite boring ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I was actually thinking about this yesterday some more. Most of my data is cloud driven.. For example, all my music is in iTunes and I use the iTunes Match service so that I can access my library from Apple's cloud any time. This means that I don't have to really focus on backing up my music.

For movies/series, again, I use Netflix, iTunes (to subscribe to shows and movies), YouTube, Plex, etc.... All of these services are cloud based, again, nothing for me to backup.

Games, all my games are from Steam, Origin, and Uplay, again, all in the cloud...

So when I really think about backing up my data, all I have are my documents and pictures, for pictures I can easily use a service like Flickr and for the the documents is all I have to worry about. Not much data to backup so I just use OneDrive for it.

So in the end, most of the services are already cloud based, no need to keep them locally!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Vince Polston

Vince Polston Nibble Poster

I use dropbox for personal and Drobo for business.

9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I use Dropbox with Sookasa for encryption and I also use SkyDrive as for some reason I have 40GB of storage which I gather is not the norm, no idea why I have that much though!

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...