What Chapters Do I Need To Study

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

tripwire45 gave me this great advice on how to approach studying for A+ certification exams

Most people take the Core (hardware) section first and then tackle the OS section. I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you what I'd do.
    I'd probably start (assuming no really tight time constraints) by reading the whole book cover-to-cover to see what I was getting into.
    Then, assuming I was going to take the Core section first, I'd study the heck out of it.

I think his is what I want to do, but just in case that I want to take the Core Hardware exam first what chapters exactly do I need to have read to take the A+ Core Hardware Exam.
    I have read chapters 1-11. And have scored ok on the tests at the end of each chapter. Are there any other chapters that I need to read?

Can anyone help!

Thanks!

Professor - Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If I'm not mistaken, there should be somewhere in the book that tells you which chapters train to which objects. If you haven't already, get the official objectives for the A+ exam.

www.comptia.org

If the book doesn't come out and just say which chapters cover the Core vs OS section, you can probably match up the objectives from CompTIA with where they occur in the book. I haven't picked up my old Meyers book in awhile but I don't remember it being very hard to figure out which chapters to read for which section of the A+.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It should also be divided into 2 sections, hardware/core and OS. I know the 2 books I have are like that. Basically all you need should be in the relevant section.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Here's the TOC to the Meyers book:

1: Introduction
    2: The Visible PC
    3: Microprocessors
    4: RAM
    5: BIOS and CMOS
    6: Expansion Bus
    7: Motherboards
    8: Power Supplies
    9: Floppy Drives
    10: Hard Drive Technologies
    11: Implementing Hard Drives
    12: Understanding Windows
    13: Working with the Command Line Interface
    14: Installing and Upgrading Windows
    15: Maintaining, Optimizing, and Troubleshooting Windows 9x and Windows Me
    16: Maintaining, Optimizing, and Troubleshooting Windows NT, 2000, and XP
    17: CD and DVD Media
    18: Video
    19: SCSI
    20: Sound
    21: Portable PCs
    22: Printers
    23: Networking
    24: The Internet

As you can see, it looks like the chapters relevant to the OS section are sandwiched inbetween the hardware sections so it might not seem as clear cut based on the TOC alone. I'd be willing to bet that somewhere in the front matter is a guide as to which chapters are associated with which part of the test. though.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for your help
    Just verfifying
    Yes the OS chapters are sandwiched in the middle.of the book
    All other chapters in the Mike Meyeres book are for Hardware exam.

Thanks for your help!
    :)

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +