What "certification" related thing (or lack of) do you regret the most?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Shinigami, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

For me, it must be the fact that I got into the game too late (for me figuratively speaking)...

More specifically, I passed my first IT Certification in 2003, and looking back at things, I kick myself for never having given the NT4 MCSE a go back in 99/2000 when I was really beginning to get into the hang of things (I managed NT4 Terminal Servers and workstations to name a few things, and whilst I was made aware of the MCSE certification process, I was put off by it thinking it was way beyond my grasp).

So in the end, not having that title of "MCSE +I" (had I gone all the way) is one of those things that haunts me :(

Don't ask me why as I know it's a silly thing, but it's just the way it is :oops:

Go on, let's hear about yours :twisted:

p.s. I've been playing catch up for the past few years... I guess the whole certification bug has bit me ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  2. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I got my first job in 2nd line support 2 years ago, I wish I had started my MCSE back then. Would have been close to being qualified by now :(

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Similar situation to you Shini - I stumbled into IT in my mid 30's, started an MCSE 2000 but the training co went bust (that's somewhere on the forum) and then got busy.

Took on engineers/techs so didn't follow through myself and now, having lost my business due to the recession (and other factors) I'm getting penalised for not having the certs when I apply for jobs.

So, yeh, should have stuck at it all those years ago !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have only been in IT for since June '08, wish I would have found IT as a career sooner.

In relation to the certs, I just enjoy studying and it is rare for a day to go by when I don't pickup an ITIL, Microsoft, Cisco book.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The fact that braindumpers aren't decertified often enough.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

I bought the MCDST books when I was on a placement year two years ago and I never got round to looking at them properly until now when I have graduated and working full time.

I could have been looking at windows 7 or my ccent at this moment. But oh well, my 70-271 is booked....

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've been in IT for a while now, I have days when I regret entering the IT Profession (it's been up and down the last couple of weeks)... :biggrin

Apart from that, while I'm please with my degree (BSc), I think one that was accreditied by the ECUK would have been nicer. And maybe not doing my Masters when I first became an IT manager (I still haven't started it) is something I would have liked to change if I could go back in time and had the finances :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Shinigami

Ah, like one guy who was attempting a Server 2008 exam while I was doing an Exchange 2007 one. He finished in 10 minutes (took me about an hour), and as he was leaving the room, he glanced at me and with a smirk said "good luck" :rolleyes:

Only thing he didn't do, was sign out of his Prometric session which got left at the "leave feedback" page... I felt like leaving some feedback on his behalf :rolleyes: But decided it was best not to touch any other computers whilst sitting mine for fear of being disqualified or something.

I sincerely hope that Microsoft was running something in the background in order to pick up his keystrokes/time per question statistics...

9. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Surely finishing in 10 mins must flag some kinda BD alert at Microsoft? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. BosonMichael

Oooooooh, yes, if it was a Server 2008 exam, they most certainly WERE picking up on those statistics. They've been collecting data for the past 3 or 4 years and have only in the past year started using that information to catch dumpers. :thumbleft

Now if they'd only do MORE of that...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

My regrets are that an industry I love can have cheaters in it. Its the nature of the beast I guess, information is so freely available and there are so many wishing to exploit others work. . . .

Apart from that! My personal regret is failing 70-351 ISA 2006 and leaving it by the way side. Its not like me but as I don't need it for my MCSE:Sec its been abandoned, which eats away at me because I paid for the CBT Nuggets and spent more hours than I'd like to admit studying for it, not to mention failing with 600 which isn't far off . . . .

I think I'll revisit this one day just to settle the score . . . .

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  12. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like a plan mate.

Dont beat yourself up over it though, ISA is a tough product to master and you have gained some ISA knowledge by going for the cert so although you havent passed it the time has been well spent. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. JK2447

Thanks Sparky your getting rep for that. I did learn a lot more than I think about ISA '06 even though I didn't pass the exam. I think its easy to be too focused on passing exams rather than just feeling comfortable with a technology. I think once my set plan of study is done MS wise, I'll see if I can download an eval of ISA 2006 and have more of a play before throwing more money down the drain on an exam. Really made me think there mate so thanks

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  14. DFV

DFV Bit Poster

I regret not upgrading my NT 4 MCSE to Windows 2000. For those who don’t know there was an upgrade exam for this (70-240) which covered about four exams worth of material in one go. It was a one-shot deal, fail and you can’t take it again. There was also a time limit for taking it; I think it was available for a year or so before it would be retired. I never gave it a shot despite doing a massive amount of study for it. That study did pay off in terms of knowledge gained but I never did attempt any Windows 2000 exams. I’ve done a few MCSE 2003 exams but just got bored with it. I’ve decided to concentrate on Windows 2008 exams after I go for the CCA which is more relevant for the technology I’m working with or will be working with in the near future.

One thing I don’t regret is deciding to drop any further Novell study for the CNA after passing my first MCP exam in 1998. I decided at the time to concentrate on NT to the chagrin of the two Master CNEs I worked with at the time. ‘Novell skills will be required for years to come; you’re making a big career mistake...’ Well it wouldn’t have helped me in the slightest.

Certifications: MCSE NT4, ITIL v2
    WIP: CCA
  15. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I regret getting into IT in the first place and if I had my time again would probably train as a plummer or electrician.

As I'm stuck in IT I regret not finishing off my CCNA course and doing the exams as I think I would be a lot further on in my career than I am now as I struggle with network technologies more than I should do.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  16. DFV

DFV Bit Poster

Surely not too late to do either? Do you mind me asking why you regret getting into IT? I do sometimes especially when I've got something not working and a crowd of angry users :biggrin But on the whole I enjoy it probably far more than I should!

Certifications: MCSE NT4, ITIL v2
    WIP: CCA
  17. BosonMichael

Yeah, I think Microsoft really dropped the ball on the NT-to-2000 upgrade path, including the initial decision to decertify MCSEs on NT.

Plus, the 70-240 was a monster. I took it the very last month it was offered after a long struggle with the content. I tried and tried to understand it all simply through reading and hands-on practice... but something wasn't sinking in. I initially resisted using practice exams - although they were free of charge for me to use, I simply did NOT want to read through over 700 questions (180 questions x 4 products) with looooong, detailed explanations. Finally, after failing the end-of-chapter questions for the umpteenth time, I squared my jaw and plowed through the practice exams and read every explanation. It must have worked... I passed the last month it was available (Dec 2001).

I later discovered that only three of us who took it at that testing center in Nashville passed 70-240 that month out of dozens of people who attempted it... and all three of us had used the same practice exams.

You oughta grab the 2003 certs while they're still available. :) That said, you're still an MCSE, regardless. :thumbleft

Yeah, same thing happened to me. I started studying for the CNA 4 exams at the suggestion of a Novell-certified co-worker, but I switched over to the Windows exams because that's what I was supporting on a daily basis. I later got the CNA/CNE 5 & 6 certifications... but I haven't supported a single Novell server since I took those exams.

18. BosonMichael

The CCNA won't really help you with "network technologies"... the CCNA will help you with administering Cisco routers.

At age 30, it's not too late to pick up a new career, particularly if you don't enjoy the career you're in. And maybe that's why you're struggling - those who DO enjoy IT will end up passing those on the career ladder who don't enjoy IT or who are in IT only for the money. No shame in that... IT's not for everyone... nor is plumbing or electrical work for everyone.

19. Shinigami

jk2447: yes, ISA is supposedly quite difficult. I went the Security+ route as an elective and probably passed thanks to this decision. But as the ISA exam is not yet retired (I believe?), give it another go and pass that beast! You'll feel awesome if you!

Boson: congrats for trying that beast! Just out of curiosity, how many questions did that upgrade exam from NT4 MCSE to 2000 contain? Was it the standard 50 or so, or a lot more?

20. JK2447

Thanks mate, I'll be proud of myself if I can pass 70-351 and I would like to get to know ISA '06 more. I'm taking on too much right now tho. I've got 3 Microsoft and 2 Cisco exams paid for by work that have to be used my March 2010 and if I don't get my MCSE before the start of Dec I'll get a lower grade for my end of year appraisal :eek:. Couple that with the fact that I opened my big mouth about wanting to be sent on the CEH course that my boss has now told me to book, I'm very much wishing I'd taken heed of that saying "be careful what you wish for!". Silly silly boy :rolleyes: