What Certificate for me?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by sugarflux, Dec 5, 2007.

1. sugarflux

sugarflux New Member

Hi all
    New member here. I'm hoping someone might be able to offer some advice

I've been programming for about 8 years now - all (or 95%) self taught. I've mainly used VBA however in recent years have only used VBA simply as an interface but the majority of my programs utilising the Windows API calls and working in Class Modules so i feel pretty confident with regards to OOP. The greatest gap in my experience has always been that i havn't really had the opportunity to gain work in VS and now, of course, .Net.

In the last year or two i've transferred a lot of my skills to writing HTML, Javascript, ASP/VBScript and MS SQL Server and last year i took up learning SAS (and Oracle based SQL) which i picked up within a couple of months.

I want to transfer my skills to learn .NET and now have the opportunity to do this in my current role - partly funded by my employer. Instead of simply spending a week in a classroom i want to gain a certificate. I'm determined to see it through and sure i can pick up most languages and new concepts pretty quickly. Ideally i would be looking at an MCSD or MCAD but i'm concerned that the requirements for both of these courses state that i should have already been working with .NET for at least a year.

Do i need to work with .NET for a year before attempting one of these certificates or can i learn as i go along?

Is there a different certificate that i should pass first?

I'm based in Brighton - does anyone know of any places nearby where i could start studying (Ideally towards a certificate instead of just a training course)?

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks
    sugarflux

2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello Sugarflux & welcome to CF:biggrin

When you say the min requirements are 1yr are you talking about the college course or is that something from MS website?

I am just look at this link MCSD for Microsoft .NET Certification Requirements
    8) Err.. I can't see that bit shown, however it does show the self paced route and after looking around CF you will notice CF is a pro supporter of self study.

MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Developing Web Applications with Microsoft® Visual Basic® .NET and Microsoft Visual C#® .NET,

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

From your link UCM.

Its a guideline really. Certifications arent really meant to teach you stuff, they are meant to show that you already possess the experience and knowledge. But it can be used as a learning experience.

I would maybe suggest starting with MCTS for .Net Framework 2, with either C# or VB.Net, you can then start to look at more certifications beyond that.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. sugarflux

sugarflux New Member

Thanks Fergal and CheekyMonkey

now technically i do have more than two years experience developing and maintaining solutions and applications but not with .Net...

Really i would like to go on afterwards to gain an MCPD so this would take it to a 3 tier process (MCTS,MCSD,MCPD) although for the MCTS cert microsoft says you do not need to complete the MCTS if you plan to go from MCSD to MCPD.

I think maybe i will need to get some ordinary classroom training first with .Net and start using it for a while before attempting the qualification?

Thanks again
    sugarflux

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its a good idea. I'm (slowly) working through the .Net MCTS cert. Although with my track record with certs, I may never actually get to the end.

Its much more valuable to be able to actually use it. Get yourself stuck in and develop stuff. If you write an app using VBScript, try doing it using VB.Net. Then take it a step further and add in additional functions, etc. It's how I got to where I am today (That, and a very helpful mentor from the dev team, and their willingness to second me for a few weeks to work on a project).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That is a good idea, professional certs should reflect your job role and responsibilities (regardless of whether it's techicial support or programming/software engineering).

Welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. sugarflux

sugarflux New Member

That's the thing you see - my job role is a Developer and I'm pretty sure i would pick up the .Net side of things very quickly but because it's all self-taught i want to get some qualifications under my belt to prove the things i can do.

Seeing as i have finally been given a go ahead to go and train with a certificate at the end i just didn't want to waste the opportunity by booking ordinary classroom training and come out with the knowledge i could have picked up on my own.

It's going to be the new year before we go and purchase .Net anyway so i guess once i start using it i can reconsider how well i'm getting to grips with it. I picked up SAS from scratch in two months and if you've ever used SAS you'll know it's not the most pleasant language!!

I reckon .NET should be a piece of cake.. Obviously learning the functionality can take years but if you know where and how to find what you need that's half the battle isn't it?

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

You obviously have an apptitude for programming,so go for it you'll do ok.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I take it that you have a pro copy of Visual Studio, either 2005 or 2008.

If not - you can get the 'Express' editions for free from Microsoft.

Then get the company to pay for some books and work through them.

That will give you a good introduction at minimal cost.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you've been programming for that long, you'll likely do just fine. :) The recommended requirements are there to dissuade people without ANY experience from attempting to take the exams.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!