What books

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Ash73, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Ash73

Ash73 Bit Poster

Hi

Can u please tell me which books and resources will be the best to use for studying for my Network +

Is the David Groth book the best choice or should stick with Mike Meyers or get both ? or is there a better choice ?

thanks

Certifications: A+ N+ 70-270 70-290 70-620 70-680 70-685 70-687 70-688
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd suggest both books. MM is chattier and the easier read, where the Groth is rather more succinct. However - they are not a total overlap, so there are parts in one not in the other.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I agree with Harry. I would also add that the *Groth* book would be a better reference to keep for the workplace. 8)

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Yep I agree with harry & boyce, both book have merits.

I'd read through the MM book first as it's an easier read to get into the subject..

But first take some time to enjoy your A+ success :beers2

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  5. Mr_Fishbulb

Mr_Fishbulb Nibble Poster

6. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Yes & yes.

To be honest,unless you have some ground knowledge of networking (which is where A+ comes into play) you may find reading the Groth book a bit of a grind,since it does not treat the reader with the grace of reading this stuff for the first time,or in other words it is highly detailed to the point of confusing in places,making it difficult to digest at times.I am currently using both books but I find Meyers book the easier to read and turn to my Groth book for reference and to further expand details after each chapter.That said you will be armed with all the knowledge you'll need to pass the exam with these two titles to hand.A good quality CBT package would be a good idea too,if your budget permits it,I've heard that TrainSignal have released a superb CBT for Network+,not really sure about pricing though,you should check out the website for the free demo and see if it suits your training style.A good quality practice exam suite will help too,but again you should shop around but my advice here is to buy the best you can afford,Transcender's exam suite is considered the mutts nuts in that respect.

Anyhoo,keep up the good work and good luck with your studies.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  7. Mr_Fishbulb

Mr_Fishbulb Nibble Poster

Cheers Mal

Certifications: Naff All
    WIP: A+