What Books Are Best

Discussion in 'SBS' started by drew27, Oct 3, 2006.

1. drew27

drew27 New Member

I'm about to embark on my MCSA training but don't know what to use. I have quite a bit of server experience and have passed my 70-282 (Small Business Server) exam already.

I have limited funds and so don't want to purchase all the books out there. I was just going to go with Microsoft Press and Trancsender but some people tell me Sybex is better.

I enjoy reading technical books and don't mind how it is presented as long as it's comprehensive.

Please could someone advise.

2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

With the intent of confuzzling things a little more, I hereby present Syngress.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It is very difficult to say which books are best since different people learn using different styles, and appreciate different types of reading. Some people can easilly read through dry technical manuals, others prefer the author to insert some humor into their writings.

The key is to not rely on a single source of information for your studies, but to make use of the different ones out there. For instance, if you are reading the MS Press book and come across something that you are struggling to understand, google it, post a question on forums like these, refer to another book, practice it.

8)

4. drew27

drew27 New Member

Thanks for the input - greatly appreciated.

Andrew

5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

drew27,

One "book" that you should think of getting is a computer that is capable of running the operating systems that you intend to study. If you go with MS Press, then you're going to get an evaluation CD of the OS, so all you're going to need is the computer. Due to the simulation type exam question, using the actual operating system is a good way towards passing.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA