What area of IT would I be most suited?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Len, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Len

Len Byte Poster

Well other the past day or so i've been considering which area of IT I may be most suited in.. I do like the idea of being an ICT/IT Technician within a school or a small business, but I'm starting to think I might not actually suited for that role... so i'm calling upon you guys to help me decide :biggrin

I guess the only thing I have to go on is what I've learnt at home and throughout my National Diploma for IT practitioners.. I guess I could start by listing the specific unit in the national diploma w/ grades (to use as an indicator I guess)

Merits:

Computer Systems
    Information Systems
    Advanced Database skills (Access)
    Advanced Spreadsheet skills (Excel)
    Communication technologies
    Human Computer Interaction
    Organisational System Security
    Client side customisation of web pages
    Principles of software design and development
    Event Driven Programming
    E-commerce
    Impacts of the use of IT systems within Business systems

Pass:

Communication and Employability skills for IT
    Mathematics for IT Practitioners
    Website Production and management
    Installing and upgrading software (The main installing and upgrading were the actual pass tasks, the write up was so long for the merits, it was unbearable)
    Digital graphics and computers
    Computer animation

Home learning:

Windows server 2003(Mainly active directory; user accounts, policies etc) ---> Certs involving Windows server please???

What do y'all think? :blink

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

If you're only 17 you need to get some experience first. Try anything and see if you like it and be aware that certs are there to "validate" experience not provide a learning environment.

Chances are, you'll probably end up in some sort of first line support type job but that would at least let you try that aspect of IT out to see if you liked it or not.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Pretty much as above- try and get a job and see where it takes you :)

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

agreed

get a normal IT job then see where it leads you.

A friend of mine wanted to be a tech but he found he was more suited to systems analasys after getting some experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I say you should get any IT job that's offered to you. You're not really in a position yet to specify which jobs you do and don't want to do. ;)

In time, and with experience, you can certainly be more picky in the types of jobs you take... and, in truth, you'll naturally gravitate to them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!