What are your motivations

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 31, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

for staying in the CF community?

I ask this because we get a lot of people who just join get the info they need then leave never to be heard of again, whlst thats their choice I'd like to know why you keep coming back?

My reasons are as follows:

My first reason I joined was beacsue I wanted information on studying and training providers before I signed anything luckily I got the self study is best responses and came to the immediate conclusion that it was.

I have learned a lot from the people on here and even when a thread comes to something that I'm not familiar with I have learned from peoples replies to that thread, so this is a reason for me to stick around.

I know that if I need help on something I can get pointed in the right direction to help me overcome the difficulties I am facing.

I also know that although my knowledge and experience isn't as vast as some of the people on here that I may be able to help other as I have been helped and hopefully the help I have given people was sound.

And of course there is a good community spirit here at CF and I doubt there are many other technical forums that have this.

So what are your reasons for hanging around CF?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well I’m studying just now and it’s good to read about what other people are doing (what study materials are being used etc.). Also some of the technical questions are interesting too.

As already said there is a good community spirit as well. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Because i'm bored.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

It's the only board that'll let me stay around :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I joined CF as I was new to the IT game, and I thought it would be a good place to get some guidance and advice.

What I found was an amazing community spirit, an amazing number of diverse personalities and spirits, and a great ethos about studying... the right way :biggrin

Whilst being a member of CF I have made some great friends, been on meets where I've met people who manage to keep up with me drinking (an amazement in itself...), and witnessed some great debates between some truly talented people.

I stay here because :iluvcf

(and you're still the only board that will have me)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

My reasons for sticking around at CF are pretty much the same as GBL and Sparky said. I really like this place because I know that I can get help when I needed it and that I can help people. To me this is a great resource for expanding on your career and getting help. However this is not all. The fact that people on these boards are willing to help others even though the same questions are being asked over and over again shows that the community does and care about helping others.

Personally CF motivates me a lot in terms of career advancing. It's a great place to get advice when needed. The senior folks on this forum are also knowledgeable and humble when it comes time to help someone. I believe that one learns better in an environment like like this where everyone is friendly.

For those who come here just to get some advice and leave well that's their choice, despite the fact we still help when we can and for those who constantly come back and get help and help others learn and benefit a lot.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I want to learn and learn some more as it would help me to further advance my future career prospects:).

Well with regards to your question the above is why I stick around and plus there are a lot of helpful people on here as well as knowledge sharing.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Because I work here and the beer is free.

Just kidding.

Actually, it is a very active community, people are generally respectful of one another and desire to be helpful (you'd be surprised how many online communities are driven by sarcastic, self-absorbed cliques that flame anyone who disagrees with their opinions).

Lots of talent here and a nice mix of experienced and newbie members. Even people with a limited technical background such as me can be helpful while at the same time, learning a lot from the other members.

The scope of the forum is just right. It's not so huge that, while trying to include everything, information is largely lost and not so focused that it appeals only to a few people or a few subjects.

I was here starting the first week of CF's existence and it's nice to belong to a place that I've helped build in my own small way.

There are probably other reasons but that's what I can get off the top of my head.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Whilst I was studying, it was such a useful resource, and I knew the info I was getting was reliable and honest.

But, I am no longer studying, so why I am here?

For starters, this forum is bloody funny, some of the humour really makes me chuckle, and some of the debates - whilst they can get a little heated - really do make me laugh sometimes. There is also some very healthy debates here, which I love, and you really get a broad spectrum of opinions, which are (mostly) intelligent

Also, it's becuase there really is a kind of community here, with regular faces well known for certain things. I am also a member of a bass players forum, and truth be told, it is pretty shite. I look at some threads sometimes, and they may have been started 2 days ago, but there's already 700 replies, and it normally goes off topic pretty quickly and it's snotty people going on about what good bass players they are and insulting people who don't have the most expensive equipment. Comparitivley speaking, a thread here, a thread here will have a fraction of the replies, but what is there is all worthwhile info. I started a thread there once, and litreally within 30 seconds it had been knocked off the home page as all these other wallies started up load of 'Pics of my bass' or 'Hear my latest track' threads

Keep it up (good thread by the way GBL, start up a new one, 'Pics of my mouse') :D

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  9. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I am only an occassional contributor to the forum, but I have read through a lot of threads and learned a lot from the experiences of others. Although I used to work as a software engineer for 7 years, I have lately been pursuing IT studies more or less independently, and I don't really know anyone else who works in IT. To attend a forum like this brings you into line with other IT people, and you can see what you still need to learn, and what is important. Studying at home for certs, even if working on computers and networks at home, is not enough to keep motivation up. I don't yet know exactly where my future in IT will take me, I am just enjoying learning the subject - I recently completed A+/N+/CCNA with SkillsTrain, and have subsequently read MCSA 70-270, and half way through MCSA 70-291 - but only because I want to learn the material - I'm not even thinking about taking an exam. Web design is another area I want to learn about. I just want to learn and then ultimately apply the knowledge I have gained, and the forum is a big help with that. It is good to see what others are up to in the IT field.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  10. greenbrucelee

So its not just me who feels a good community spirit here and the fact that CF is good learning resource because of some of the vastly experienced people here are willing to part with their wisdom.

Some good responses so far, anyone else?

11. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Basicly because I am a trainer by profession and I want to help people; try to push them in the right direction. However, CF is such a busy place that most of the time I read a thread, the solution has allready been given and I hate to "me to" or "qft".

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The salary. :dry

13. greenbrucelee

You mean you wish there was one :D

14. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I have some experience in the IT world and I enjoy assisting others looking for information / knowledge. Watching people learn is an amazing feel and it encourages me. It also let’s me stay current with technologies and certifications that I might not normally keep an eye on.

I also enjoy open discussion. This is especially true in an environment that has great community spirit. :respct

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, what he said... QFT.

:p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Shepherdess

Shepherdess Bit Poster

I was looking for some info on certifications and the site seemed very informative.

I mostly read the board because I feel too intimidated by the number of certifications some people have to say anything :D

WIP: MCSE, MCTS
  17. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

What he said...

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  18. BosonMichael

I'm here primarily because I enjoy helping people and giving them the advice they need to succeed. If I've helped even one person with their career, then it's all been worth it to me... I get a lot of satisfaction from that.

But that's not all... I really enjoy the conversation and spirit here. There are a lot of intelligent people here with a lot of varied opinions and experiences. Even when we disagree about things, logic usually prevails.

Most importantly, reading what you guys have to say is specifically what gives me the ability to provide relevant advice to others. The reason why I know that experience is valued over certifications is not just because of what I've seen... but because that's what YOU guys on this and other forums say YOU are experiencing as well. If, all of a sudden, employers massively started hiring CCNAs without experience, I'd be all over that news, and I'd start recommending that people go out and get it. That's why I keep my eyes and ears open on these forums. You guys absolutely help me to be able to help others.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  19. BosonMichael

No reason to be intimidated... we're human, just like everyone else!

Plus... my certification experience is quite a bit different than anyone elses on here... I have to teach it for a living. :)

20. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Don't be intimidated we're all really pleasant :)

I haven't got many Certs. But I have got a big mouth and a solid left hook. I can't join in too many of the technical conversations, but at least having a go will help to reaffirm what you know and help you to learn :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA