What are your favourite utils?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Phil, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

A couple of my favourites which get used regularly are pingplotter from www.pingplotter.com and languard network scanner from www.gfi.com

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

ping

tracert

3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I like Ping Tracert and nslookup, however the util of all utils has got to be ipconfig

:colour
    Look at all the bonnie colours

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Thanks guys, they're all invaluable utils, however I'm a util freak and love finding free little tools which give more flexibility and options than the standard tools provided by microsoft. I was wondering if you'd discovered any little gems. A great site which has loads of these is www.joeware.net , the most useful util i got from there is a command line utility which allows you to view/unlock all locked user accounts in a domain or you can specify switches to narrow the list down to a specific ou.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I found a similar util recently, i was given an old Dual processor server, nothing flash only a PII 300Mhz machine, however it had sat in the corner of the comms room for so long that noone could remember the password, the utils i used to crack the password were a prog called NTFS Reader

http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

I used this to take a copy of the SAM file of of the machine onto floppy then took the file to another PC and ran a prog called l0phtcrack (thats a zero) the latest is called LC4

http://www.atstake.com/research/lc/download.html

this found the passwords for all accounts/users in 7 secs, not very secure, the company are now using the same util to check how secure/strong everyones password in the whole of the company is

Take a look, it came even pick up the password hashes from sniffing a network, it's a good util to check your password security

:bluegrab

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

All those fancy utils!

I prefer to work with what comes out of the box for I simple reason I need to work accross a hugh network on a mixture of platforms UNIX, Liniux, Windows & Novell so I have to use all the basic stuff. If you really understand what they are telling you that all you need.

7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Angryip scanner is an oft used favourite of mine, bloody useful when dealing with new clients who have no idea what's plugged in to their network!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10