What are you reading, what have you read and what do you recommend - discuss!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rax, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If we're on a recommendations thread, I picked up a second hand copy of 'Made in America' by Bill Bryson the other day.

I'd forgotten how engaging a writer he was. And how he talks about language so so much in such a lovely lovely way.

Read it. And, ooooh, everything else he's done. As his travel writing is just as entertaining :) Linky.

Whilst I'm on topic, I read the Technet magazine for November on virtualisation with great n00b-like interest. If anyone can recommend any books, articles or mags for the inept on this topic, I'd welcome them (and I'll welcome them even more if I can get them using my Safari subscription).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=29609

:biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Arroryn

Ah thankee :)

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When I get the time

Network+ by David Groth (about halfway through).

Overclocking by Toms Hardware (read two pages)

And hopefully at Crimbo I'll get the new Stephen King book

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. greenbrucelee

I've read the The Ice man and have got a documentary on DVD about him, I've always been into true Crimes etc. I often read up on www.crimelibrary.com it has it all there.

6. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I visit that site quite a bit, nice one

The Ice Man documentary is brilliant, it was watching that that led me to read up a bit more about him. Absolute psycho tha tlad

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  7. Arroryn

It's not really pyschology of crimes, but Homeland by Nick Ryan is a great book about the (attempted) rise and (subsequent) fall of white supremacist and nationalist movements in the latter part of the twentieth century.

It gives a great insight into the mentality of what drives people in, with and towards extremist points of view.

Though elements of the book are quite unsettling, it really is a good read - highly recommended.

8. greenbrucelee

I was watching a documentary on the crim channel a while back about the Russion guy who they think may have murdered over 1000 people although they can only acount for about 250 :blink

I'll have a look into that, I find it weird how phsycopaths have different emotive responses to words than 'normal' people. Like if someone said house, car, murder, rape then a 'normal' persons brainwaves change when they hear the last two words but a phsycopaths doesn't as it means nothing to them. Physcology of criminals has always interested me.

9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

The psychology of psychopaths or sociopaths i think is intriguing. I'm fascinated by the whole nature vs. nurture debate. Are they bon evil or without empathy, or do they have it drilled into them by their environemnt when growing up? Henry Lee Lucas is a classic example of the nurture arguement, whereas you have someone like Peter Sutcliffe who to be honest had a relatively normal and stable family life.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  10. greenbrucelee

Yep. My mum has fostered 28 kids over a 25 year period with 4 of us being long term including me. Two of the kids were half brothers (same mother), and one of them was very disturbed. Everyone expected the disturbed one to go permanantly of the rails and get into crime (the wosrt of crimes according to social services) however it turned out that through my mothers caring etc he has turned out fine and is now the area manager for Nissan.

The other one was very intelligent and my Mother put him through private school with no help from social services turned to crime from the age of 13 (the first time he was caught anyway). At the age of 16 my Mother had to release him back into the care system as he forcibly got hold of my Mother and threaten to kill her. At the age 18 he joined the army and was subsequently arrested by MPs when he was on leave as he had taken a machine gun and ammo back to wherever he was living. He somehow at the age of 20 got onto a law course at university in Newcastle using his half brothers identity nobody knows where he is now.

All the kids in my family had exactly the same upbringing, so I guess he was born that way. It's funny how my Mums dad said when they both placed with her at first that he should be the one to watch out for and not the one that was classed as disturbed.

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

For the sheer "brain candy" of it, I'm reading Larry Niven's Rainbow Mars novella. I didn't know he'd published a new Svetz/Time Travel story since the 1970s. This one was published originally in 1999. Nothing particularly scholarly, but nice to help wind down the brain before going to bed.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Currently reading anything that has 70-291 in the title, also reading joe haldeman's peace and war all three books in one. I was on holiday when I picked this up, looking at the scifi isle and a guy started chatting to me and recommended this book. its a great story about a war between us and an alien race, but whenever soldier go off to fight the mechanics of their travel means that when returning to earth 20 years or so have passed in their relative 6 month tour of duty. Its a great story about how people fighting a cause get alienated further and further away from who they are fighting for!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

So those two upbringings could imply that nurture has a factor...but also nature? :blink

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  14. cyphertheory

cyphertheory Bit Poster

Just finished Mechanicum by Graham McNeill the other day, waiting for the next one in the series to come out, ive been pretty impressed by the Horus heresy saga so far :) big gamesworkshop fan too so i guess that helps

been eyeing up some of my old David Gemmell books i have on the shelf for a re-read. favorite of his is Dark Moon and also the Rigante series. he was a really good fantasy writer and a shame that he passed away :(

Certifications: MCDST, Network+ C&G NVQ lvl 3
    WIP: 70-682 I think :P
  15. greenbrucelee

Well sort of, the disturbed one had a good upbringing and is now doing well, the 'sane' one had the same good upbringing but is a piece of criminal scum :blink

16. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Havent got that one yet, but just re-read Descent of Angles. I collect a DA army so this book really interested me, and i'm picking up bits i must have missed first time round. Want to know more about what followed in the DA history, and i think theres a new book on the way to show that.

Am curently re-reading teh Commissar Cain stories and the other month finished the last of teh Gaunts Ghosts books again for teh 3rd time.

Do members here reread thier books? and if so how many times or how often? I know i have read teh original Do Androids Dream of Sheep (Bladreunner) by Philip K Dick, about 25 times in my life. I have over 200 books in my libarary and all have been read at least twice some a lot more than that (Original I Robot and Rest of Robots 10 times each!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  17. Arroryn

Because I'm so fussy on the forumla for fantasy fiction books that 'work' for me, I have a concentrated library of fiction books, all of which have been reread at some point. There's probably around forty or fifty of those.

But I joined a couple of libraries recently, and picked up an Anne McCaffrey 'Pern' book, as it had been a good decade or so since I'd ready any - I forgot how much I liked her storytelling, so my book collection will probably swell quite soon!

What about non-fiction or reference books? Do people keep a lot of these, or less because of the expense and go to the library? I'm turning into a right hound for non-fiction and reference and a lot of visitors to my study are starting to leave semi-comatose...

Non-fiction books I'm less fussy on authors, as its the content they provide that matters. I have three books that have the name 'James Pyles' somewhere in the authors list as well as a ridiculous amount of Cisco and general networking books (in the region of 20-25), including books on security, topology, TCP/IP and architecture. I can't read these seriously indepth at my level of knowledge, but they do get the occasional flick-through when the impulse takes me. They'll still be useful when I get to them. Let's see... there are also my MS Press books - 70-271 and 70-272 as well as the MCSE MS Press book set. I have a couple of books on Linux, including one on firewalls, another book on VB scripting, another on C++... another on Visio. Then I have four books on mathematics for engineers, another specifically on calculus, four more general ones on algebra, and one on discrete mathematics. I recently developed an interest in general physics, so have some stuff on the theory of relativity, as well as some others about theories on the big bang and other general scientific reference materials. Then there are the language reference materials....

Having churned all these about, I bet Trip, Zeb or BM will blow me out of the water with their book collections :biggrin

\love books

18. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Some books I have read recently which I would recommend are :-

Blind Faith by Ben Elton - a very funny satire about the future society we may be heading for if reality TV, celebrity culture, and our propensity to record digitally every single event in our lives takes hold.

Young Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore - a more serious read for those interested in learning about Josef Stalin, the great Soviet dictator - the remarkable story of his remarkable life up until the age of about 40, a totally outstanding read and award winner for best biography in 2007.

Anyone Can Do It by Duncan Bannatyne - has to be read by anyone with the remotest interest in business/entrepreneurship. Duncan's story is an amazing read and very inspiring. I thought it was remarkable how he stood up to the city bankers who tried to fleece him. You may know him from Dragon's Den.

Bannockburn by Peter Reese - for those interested in Scottish history, this is an outstanding account of the great battle, one the events which shaped not just Scottish history but also British history. There are very few, if any, other books which deal exclusively with this subject.

The Sigma Protocol by Robert Ludlum - the author of the Bourne books on which the Bourne trilogy of films is based. This particular novel is an extremely gripping 'page-turning' thriller, highly recommended.

Back Chat by Garry Trainer & Tania Alexander - if you've got a bad back read it - it might cure you - it did mine in a matter of days after 15 years of suffering back problems and inadequete treatments from doctors

Dreamweaver MX 2004 by J. Tarin Towers - yes I know an old version of the web design package, but for those who don't have access to a later version, this is an excellent tutorial in how to use this excellent package. I recently designed a web site and found this guide invaluable and time-saving.

Complete Reference to HTML&XHTML 4th Edition by Thomas A. Powell - an excellent authority for those who need to really understand the underlying HTML/CSS of their web design.

Railway Man by Eric Lomax - I posted a message about this before, but highly recommended. Harrowing true story about a Royal Signalman captured as a POW on the Burma 'Railway of Death' during WWII.

Windows Server 2003 by Minasi - found many answers to my questions in here - a very comprehensive guide

:D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Started re-reading Dashell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon. It was originally published around 1928, and it's still a classic at 80 years of age. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I am currently reading Fireproof. I just finished Qi.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!