What are you reading, what have you read and what do you recommend - discuss!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rax, Dec 4, 2008.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

So..

Right now I'm reading The Liveship Traders book #2 The Mad Ship. It's not my cup of tea really, magical ships, pirates etc. but it's the 2nd set of a 3 set saga (is that right?). I think this one might be more up Arro's street as the main character is a headstrong young woman who's not falling under the normal ways of Bingtown ladies. Instead she wishes not to be a housewife but to be the captain of her own liveship and sail the sees.

I'm only reading these books because I read The Farseer trilogy which was absolutely fantastic and there's a 3rd set (The Tawny Man) with added characters from the set I'm reading now. So basically, set 1 focusses on Fitz and the northern region of the map, set 2 focusses on Althea and the southern map and then set 3 goes back to the northern map again.

Farseer books were not of magical ships and pirates but set the scene of kings and castles, magic, dragons and assassins (hence assassin always being in the titles).

The Farseer books have been my favourite reading so far but I only started reading when I picked up Harry Potter, since then I've read the Dark Materials and these. :-)

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Here is my read/reading/want-to-read list. Use the menu on the left to navigate my lists.

:biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

70-306/316 and 70-290, oh! I get it now :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm currently reading "Der fünfte Elefant" (the Fifth Elephant) by Terry Pratchett.

I'm a massive fan of his Discworld books - the witches ones, and the Watch ones, more than any other (I find the Rincewind books particularly tough to enjoy, but will invariably give anything by Pratchett that's a Discworld novel a go).

Needless to say, reading a book in German is generally slow going for me, so I keep a couple of other 'irons in the fire' (or books in reserve!) for some light relief.

I'm getting a fair way through Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku - a great read, especially for someone like myself that isn't as well-versed in science as I would like to be. I will certainly be picking up more of his books in the future.

I'm also re-reading the Deverry Cycle by Katharine Kerr, my most belovedly favourite author.

I re-read the Graces *a lot* but that doesn't really count :wink:

Poetry is also an element of literature that people take for granted. I currently have Seamus Heaney's Burial at Thebes and will probably try re-reading the Aenid after that. For some shorter works, try anything by Grace Nichols - which is quite delightful Afro-Caribbean poetry, or Catullus for some tongue-in-cheek classical - well, cheek :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Currently:

The Lovely bones

Before that: Beyond Ugly

Before That: Ugly

Though the first two ended up really positive, and Lovely Bones has some humour, I am hoping to read something a little more cheery next! :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Wasn't going to mention this as I started it earlier on this year and didn't get to finish it. However, I feel that a lot of you will find it quite fascinating.
    I found it such an informative read, but had too many distractions, so, after getting far enough to develop a great respect for the Polish, I took it back to the Library ready to take back out again when I can give it the thorough read that it deserves!

It is very interesting though and, the place where it all took place is quite local to me. They ceased operations a fair few years ago now, but opened it to the public. Recently it has received a few grants after panic that it couldn't be funded and would be shut down.

I went there in the summer - fantastic place - amazing to actually see all the code breaking machines and home of Colossus :wubwhom I saw in operation - he was actually knocked down, but rebuilt by some of the original engineers BY MEMORY!! and is now known as mark 2...tell you what, I was drooling all day long - the place is well worth the visit and you can't see everything in just the one day, so, once you've paid, they allow you to go back for free for the next year - brilliant - I thoroughly recommend it!

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Almost finished Brief History of Time

Also reading Spirit Gate, Belching out the devil, Dilbert.

I finally have a stack of books that I have yet to start reading, including the final Dark Tower, which has been sitting on my shelves for nigh over a year now (I dont want the series to end, so I refuse to end it by reading the last book).

Of course, Laurel K Hamilton will have another book out soon, so I will likely end up with it on the list too.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

What did you think to this?
    Have you read this / any of the others before?

Are you a fan, or was it just curiosity?

The Jane Austen centre in Bath is a fantastic trip if you're into that kind of thing.
    You get a good picture of Jane and all the hardship that she endured throughout her short life...

...if you do like her things, have you read: "The History of England by a partial, prejudiced & ignorant Historian" that she wrote as a kid - very cute! :D

11. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I got into reading far too late.. I've so much to catch up on :(

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

At the moment I am trying to get through David Gemmels trilogy about the story of the city of Troy.

Normally I am a big fan of Terry Pratchet, David Eddings and Raymond E Feist.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well I've always been a sci-fi/fantasy fan from a kid but particularly like Stephen Donaldson and Harry Harrison (especially his Stainless Steel Rat series).

Outside of sci-fi then it's James Patterson's Alex Cross books at the moment.

I have quite a mixed and varied taste but the usual problem is finding the time. This tends to be night-time and I usually have trouble putting a book down so it's not unusual for me to be still reading at 3 in the morning :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  14. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

At the moment it's Hogfather (again) by Terry Pratchett. I just finished The Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy and before that Wee Free Men also by Terry Pratchett.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Currently Charlie Brooker's Screen Burn, the man is a comedy genius, proper laugh-out-loud-on-the-tube type read. His follow up book, Dawn Of The Dumb, is next

Before that, The Ice Man, true life account of the life of the most notorius Mafia hitman Richard Kuklinski. Fascinating and brutal but never gory for the sake of sensationalism. The psychology of serial killers fascinates me, what makes people the way they are and all that.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  17. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Currenty reading: Modern Money Mechanics

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

19. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  20. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Just finished Seven Lies by James Lasdun which was and excellent read, its about a guy who has escaped the GDR in the eighties to start afresh in the USA and how his old life catches up with him. Great Stuff.

I'm also working my way though Mastering Windows Server 2003 by Mark Minasi for my MCSA stuff and finding his explanation of all things server 2003 very helpful.

I have just started Stranger and Stranger by Robert McMullen, its about two people exchanging emails (ok, I bet there is more to this book than that but I'm only on the first few pages)

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA